Trouble with my VPN router

Thread: Trouble with my VPN router

Trouble with my VPN router

I just put in my Linksys RV082 VPN router and now I'm unable to get into any search engines. I figured it might be the firewall, so I took down the firewall. The problem is still happening. Has anyone ran into this problem with this equipment or any type of equipment like it?

AOs Resident Troll
    I have had trouble with some ISP connections and routers...

Mostly with sites like msn etc

I have had to lower the MTU settings on the router ????

Default is 1492 I usually set to 1372

I dont understand why it works...but it does

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just tried it. So far it's not working, but I'll give it some time. Who dd you contact to get help on this? I've been on hold with Linksys forever now. I wish I called my ISP first.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...I used to have a GREAT contact at my ISP...but he is no longer there...

He was the one that helped me with it.

Are your DNS settings ok????

Can you get out to ANY sites???

MLF

Can you ping them ok?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

I'm using the DNS settings given to me by my ISP. Contacted them and confirmed. Does anyone know the IP address for google?

ping google.com see if this works.
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long. Last night when I set up the router it was running Dynamic and everything worked fine. The Road Runner guy was saying it was spyware or viruses. I mentioned to him that the change from yesterday was the static IP. Went over the settings on the router with him; turned off the firewall, but nothing worked. I mentioned agian that I believe it was the static and he kept saying it wasn't.

Called again, got a different guy on the phone. I just told him, "Lets just go back to dynamic and see what happens. I really think it will fix the problem for now". Well, it did. Funny thing is that while using dynamic, I'm using the same DNS servers. I put back on the firewall and everything is working.

I still gotta figure this out though. We can get away with Dynamic for now, but we're going to need to get this static up and running. I'll probably work on it when no one is here.

AOs Resident Troll
    I have seen this with one setup...where we set the router to use a Dynamic IP...that never changes...So in essence is static.

They require a static for the remote sites to communicate.....IP hasnt changed so far ....over 2 years now...

It is the way the ISP has it set up.

Glad its working.

MLF

Thanks for the help. Now I gotta set up the VPN. I already set it up on the router, now just gotta test it. This thing came with a crappy VPN client. It almost looks like something I made back when I first started programming Java. I'll test it on that one, then try a few of the VPN clients that people on this site suggested.