I am currently in the sixth form of a secondary school in England. The school has recnetly installed a wireless network on top of it's existing one. I know they know about basic network security with a wireless network because most of the access point require WEP to use. However, about a fortnight ago several of them in the sixth form block appear to have reset to factory settings. This means they use default SSID (3COM) and require no WEP. I know that they work as people in the block can connect to the network via them. Unfortunatly, it also allows people to use unauthorised laptops on the network as well. They haven't worked out how to do much yet, but just looking at the network settings suggests they have the same levels of general access (i.e. same DHCP server, DNS, default gateway etc. but no access to user accounts though) as the authorised laptops. This has not yet been reported to the network admin staff.
Here is the tricky part. The admin staff are NOT the most friendly staff in school. I am worried that if I report it in person that I will be accused of "hacking" the network and get suspended. I don't need that on future University applications. I am also worried that they will succeed in getting the laptops banned. They seem to dislike them already and this could give them that excuse to ban them.
What should I do here? I want the hole closed, but I also want to avoid any trouble. Any advice you can give would be very welcome.