Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tunneling through 2 uncontrollable Firewalls

Howdy.

Would Pc Any Where be a usable option.?.

cheers
    front2back

My experience with PC Anywhere is that you have to configure it thru the firewall. With both routers and Linux systems like IP Cop.

Although I haven't used Hamachi extensively yet, I've never had to configure a firewall for it to get thru. And it goes right on thru. Must be the UDP, I dunno...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I've never had to configure a firewall for it to get thru. And it goes right on thru. Must be the UDP, I dunno...
    Would you like to rephrase that... Please? Please?

Oh dear.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    ... it goes right thru firewalls, even IP Cop...
    hmmmmm. “Hamachi” must be installed on both machines - most likely adjusts your firewall settings during installation to allow the program or you must do it manually as indicated in their FAQ’s

I've never had to configure a firewall for it to get thru. And it goes right on thru...
    If “Hamachi” can slide through without any config changes, I’d recommend you check your firewall config. Someone else is probably also taking a peek.

Both machines must then, independently, connect to a “mediation server” to establish the peer-to-peer.

Hamchi

None-the-less it does sound interesting. Thanks for the info.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hi James,

Well, since you don't have access to poke holes in your firewalls (Or do you?) I would use GoToMyPc . It uses 80 and 443 so there is only a client/server setup and you're done.
    For what you want to do with it, it's a bit steep in price....business write-off?

If you do have access to the firewalls and can forward ports (Or can walk her through it) then all the above you mentioned and Remote Administrator .

My understanding is Hamachi uses UDP packets, no TCP. And, yes, it needs to be installed on both machines. As for connecting thru a firewall and/or router, there's no problem and no config'ing.

I'm sitting here at home right now, behind a Belkin router using default settings, unconfigured for any port forwarding of Hamachi, connecting to my desktop at the office via Hamachi. The desktop at the office is behind IP Cop, which is also unconfigured for any port forwarding of Hamachi's port (12975, I believe). I'm pulling up network shares via Hamachi, no problemos. And from the office, there's no problems bring up shared folder or files on this laptop.

I've installed it on several computers in our office, any number of which I'm able to connect to remotely. Again, without any need to configure any ports or port forwarding. I do a lot of mobile computing and have had no trouble connecting thru unconfigured routers and firewalls in places like coffeehouses or clients' offices. Now, having said that, I haven't tried it going thru a Cisco yet, so I can't comment on that one. But for your average router and even IP Cop, Hamachi goes right thru it like it wasn't there.

http://www.necco.ca/dv/remote_access.htm#hamachi

Let me add that Hamachi appears to use a series of mediation servers. Currently the one connecting to this laptop is at 69.90.101.31 (hosted by Peer 1 Network, a Canadian outfit) while the desktop at the office is connected to 63.34.106.7 (hosted by UUNET Technologies, Inc. in Virginia). The Hamachi site itself, though Canadian, is hosted in Europe from what I can tell.

what about a http tunnel? easy to implement, dont need admin access on XP, just start on both sides... http port for example.

But a warning: a http tunnel is easily detected by a good administrator (not easy to find one)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ahhh... I see... The reason it _seems_ to be connecting through the firewall unmolested is because the software initiates a connection to the remote servers from inside the firewall when you start the app. The firewall therefore sees it as a valid connection. The app keeps the connection alive until you connect to it... again, because the initial connection was allowed by the firewall your subsequent connection to the remote appears to be just part of that valid connection so it is allowed.

I would say though, that it probably wouldn't work on my network unless it uses a common port for the protocol it uses. My egress rules are rather tight so you initial connection would probably be denied.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yeah, TS, it can be blocked. As a matter of fact, I'm lounging around a local coffeehouse this a.m. and they got their D-Link locked down tight. No torrents, no remote admin, and no Hamachi for me this a.m. Just talked to the owner a minute ago about it and he said his brother-in-law, an admin for a local county gov't, set it up.

--sigh--

No port scanning the CitiBank servers this a.m....