Thread: I did not see this comming until today!

Banned

I did not see this comming until today!

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...p_lcd_roundup/

When will it ever end? Now we know why LCD / Monitor prices have been steadily falling.

"You see, although Windows Vista will be released later this year, most of the monitors on the market today lack the HDCP support needed for high-resolution playback of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs on your PC. In fact, there are only 12 monitors that we know of that support HDCP. In short, not only will you need to buy a new graphics card for Windows Vista, if you’d like full-resolution HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, you’ll also need a brand-new monitor"

AFLAAACKKK!!
    That depends on the distro of Vista you get...

If your in your right mind you'll just stick with XP for the next couple of years since Microsoft will continue to support it for at least another 2 1/2 years...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Actually there have been warnings for several years.
    They want to put DRM into every device you own.
    Eventually it will find its way onto hard drives (that will
    refuse to save unauthorized files) etc.

Eventually someone will have to kick Hollywood's ass,
    or we will wind up with a computer that has evolved
    backward into a TV. Anyone wanna watch some
    "Ozzie and Harriet" reruns?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

rcgreen, i'll bring the popcorn you just provide the re-runs and a beer or 2

Very interesting as i read something similar in a PcMagazine the other night, but from what microsoft is planning is very stupid and by the sounds of things they are digging at the scraps at the bottom of the barrel now for ideas..

f2b

I don't think Microsoft has much choice in this.
    Hollywood is calling the shots. They want DRM at
    the hardware level.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    This whitepaper is an interesting read. In a nutshell, unless Windows trusts both the video device and driver to output the encrypted signal rather than an unencrypted one, it won't play. It's then up to your monitor to do the decryption.

I won't even consider upgrading to Vista if I have to change my monitor. But surely there has to be a way around it :-/
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Originally posted here by Raion
    I won't even consider upgrading to Vista if I have to change my monitor. But surely there has to be a way around it :-/
    Hang in there, by the time Vista is sold to the masses, they will have come up with workarounds or adapters or such, as it is, I will be sticking with XP for awhile yet....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

So far everything I've heard about Vista is making me want to stick with XP.

Yeah im definatly not going to be upgrading to vista until they stop supporting xp, and maybe not then. Heck one of my boxs still runs Windows 98 SE and i have had almost no issues with it, in fact i think i have had more issues on my xp pro box than the 98 SE.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin