Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't uninstall or install Norton Anti-virus

Banned
    goto start-->run-->regedit
    look for norton on these locations and delete it
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\curr
    entversion\uninstall
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\curre
    ntversion\uninstall , then try to install again it will likely go smooth and then uninstall it properly

I'll try all the things you have said till now, but just look at this firsta nd tell me if you arec hanging your mind...

A little bit of history:

1. All my firewalls and Norton Anti-virus Corporate Edition 7.5/7.6(i am sure it's one of them...but which 1 i can't say) are in place
    on my Windows XP professional Edition SP1 before i start using the net.
    The virus was last updated in August, 2005.
    2. The Anti-virus and the firewall automatically start when windows starts.
    3. Then one fine lovely morning i find the anti-virus did not start with Windows(i could not find the
    anti-virus icon in the system tray).
    4. I pressed Alt+Ctrl+Del and so to the Task Manager. Everything looked fine.
    5. I thought it might start next time i boot. I bunk it and do my normal work on the computer.
    6. Next time i start i still can't find the icon in the sys tray. so i go to programs->norton anti-virus
    ->norton antivirus corporate edition and click the icon a zillion times.
    7. Norton Anti-virus does not open.
    8. I try and remove it through the Add/Remove thing in Control Panel but it still won't get removed.
    The comp just got hung everytime.
    9. I delete the NavNT folder.
    10. I try installing/uninstalling - neither happens coz it says navinst.dll is missing and in the second
    it says that norton antivirus already exists.
    11. My conmp begins to act akwardly. The windows i open shut down automatically without any reason what
    so ever. Now don't ask me how i got to www.antionline.com. I used my file-sharing software ares - using
    its web feature so i can access the site. Everytime i open ares, it shut down...i mean it'll minimize into
    the sys tray. so the next time i click the ares icon in the tray, it opens the page just as it was when the
    window was closed forcefully( and i never did it....)!!!!
    12. I run an online scan on trend micro, it reports 2 viruses - worm_nymex.e and trojan_generic. it was not able to
    remove either. I did some reseach on nymex worm yesterday and it said that it was the blackworm which spreads
    through Windows operating system on 3rd of every month(also called blackworm and kamasutra - where do u get such
    stupid names!!!!)
    13. I could not have been possibly hacked cause my firewall has been successfully block(i hope so...atleast that's what
    it says...) 11117 access attempts.and i wrote all this in notepad b4 copying it into the 'reply' box...argggggghhhhhhhhhhhh....

Now tell me what the hell i am supposed to do....

nonav.zip looks like a solution...i am checkign it out right now...i'll keep you posted about it...thanx!

I did exactly what the nonav.zip said and then tried installing the norton anti-virus all over again....everything seemed perfect till a small window popped up.....error in msiexec.exe

Should i try the other possible solutions now or should i wait for some other alternatives....

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    That error is not associated with nonav. Have you installed the latest MSI (if memory serves, there is a new installer available)? If not, use the exe file for installation if available.

If you've gotten this far, nonav has done it's job. It appears you have additional issues with your box.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Yes i am pretty sure that I have uninstalled Norton Antivirus CE using nonav.zip(thank you very much...)
    But why am i getting that error and what should be my next step so i am able to load the AV all over again?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=229683

match the MSI error against this list and then you'll have a direction to go in order to solve the problem.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden