Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a processor

Buying a processor

So I'm sure that buying a processor has to be more complex then socket type and operating frequency, I just don't know what so my question is, what do you look for when looking for the best processor? Because I have found to AMD processors, that have almost the same operating frequencies, but their prices are COMPLETLY different:

A processor my friend is going to buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103608

The processor I'm going to buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103535
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

FX60 is the best thing on the market, It's built amazingly to make it the best thing ever. Definitly not a good price/performance ratio. Operating freq. and cache sizes are the main differences between yours and his. The reason there is such a big price difference with such a small speed difference is because this is what happens for top end stuff. To get a little bit better it costs a lot more, so for most people, it's not worth it. Go for the one you're looking at unless you just really want bragging rights.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Price and what MoBo I have is what decides it for me.

Which reference to the CPU your friend is buying - it is a dual core CPU - hence the $1000 price tag! Yours is not, hence the $160 price tag!!

They may look similar at first glance but they are two totally different CPU's!

Yours:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ / 2 GHz processor
    Processor Type AMD Athlon 64 - 64-bit
    Processor Socket Socket 939
    Performance Index 3200+
    Clock Speed 2 GHz
    Cache Memory L2 512 KB
    Compatible Slots 1 x processor - Socket 939

Your friends:
    Product Description AMD Athlon 64 FX 60 2.6 GHz processor
    Processor Type AMD Athlon 64 FX 60 Dual-Core - 64-bit
    Processor Socket Socket 939
    Clock Speed 2.6 GHz
    Cache Memory L2 2 MB
    Compatible Slots 1 x processor - Socket 939

Your friends has 2Mb L2 cache 4x what yours has - 2GHz vs 2.6 GHz.

In a nut shell - the FX60 has two full 2.6GHz cores each with 1MB L2 cache. Each core also has 64K of L1 instruction cache and 64K of L1 data cache.
    At 2.6GHz per core, the FX60 is essentially two FX55s sat side by side on the same package

Dual core is the way ahead - if ya can afford it!!

Oh what's the difference between dual core and the one I chose? I'm trying to get the best processor I can get withing my budget (&gt; $200 for processor), i'm tired of a processor who's speed is measured in MHz
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Dual core is basically two procesors on one chip. You definitly made a good choice for your price range. Unless you're gaming or doing some huge math calculations (say, prime factorization upwards of 10^15 digits) You won't notice a major difference between those two processors.
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Oh good thats my main concern But i want a pretty fast comp since i'm an all around user, i do a lil bit of everything..also, is the socket of any importance? if so, is socket 939 a good choice?

In a nut shell - the FX60 has two full 2.6GHz cores each with 1MB L2 cache. Each core also has 64K of L1 instruction cache and 64K of L1 data cache.
    At 2.6GHz per core, the FX60 is essentially two FX55s sat side by side on the same package
    Sorry I added this later as an edit!

Yes its a great choice - the cpu you want is perfect for a home PC!

k thanks a million

Your very welcome!

Now you just have to choose a good mobo, which is definitly harder than the good processor part.