Overclocking monitor

Thread: Overclocking monitor

Banned

Overclocking monitor

That's right. I have a 17" Samsung Syncmaster 750s. My max resolution is 1280x1024 at 60Hz. You can actually see the lines travel across the monitor. I have an ATI 9200 and it can refresh at 160Hz at 1280x1024. I went into the advanced settings in my display properties and overrode the stock setting of my monitor up to 85Hz. I want to go to 160Hz cause it's so quick, but I'm scared cause it says anything past the recommended could damage the hardware and a monitor is not on my list to buy right now. Should 85Hz be ok.

On a side note it's amazing how the faster Hz can actually increase the load time of programs. No lag, just pop. Perhaps some of the lag is caused by my monitor. I didn't really think about it, but I guess it's possible. Can't display as fast as my computer can produce.

I am moving this thread to "Hardware" because that is really what it is about.

As some of you may know, I rant prolifically about "balance"..................what is the point of a $500 video card on a $100 monitor

I would not recommend using any setting not supported by your monitor ............you will pretty soon have to buy a new one if you do, and the one you have just trashed will be worthless.

As for refresh rates.................60Hz is "safe mode" (sometimes 58). It flickers and will give you a headache.

Comfortable settings are between 72 and 85 for "normal" or "average" use, and the higher values are for animated graphics.

HINT/TIP

If you are having problems in getting a data projector to display a correctly proportioned image, try altering the refresh rate...................I have known that work wonders

SECOND POST: NO APPOLOGIES

DO NOT OVERCLOCK YOUR MONITOR unless you are a qualified electronics technician and really know what you are doing.

With old and cheap equipment, they may not have the adequate thermal cut-outs................

Please check out the penalties for Manslaughter #2 and Reckless Indifference

I do not deny you the right to kill yourself (verdict: died of an overdose of stupidity), but think about others.............they may not want to die in a house fire.

Good quality kit (such as knowlegeable overclockers use) will have built in protection.

Cheap economy stuff does not, because it is not intended to be used that way.

Howdy.

If your dumb enough to try or even attempt to overclock your monitor then you can expect to either blow it up, electricute yourself, or possibley put someone else at danger...
    And having to purchase a new monitor once you blow the old one up by being stupid and overclocking it..

Monitors arn't meant to be overclocked, they have there MAX settings marked for a reason..

cheers
    front2back

well it isnt overclocking... the clocking circuit is in the pc..

The monitor has prefered setting because the electronics are designed to runn there.. run it outside these areas.. and chance of component failure increases dramaticaly.

An increase in the frame rate has an associated increase in the line frequency. the HV unit is built to allow a range of frequencies.. these are efficient and stable in these areas.. outside that.. the output voltages and random noise increase as well as the associated component heating.
    Unlike a CPU or graphics card where your main enemy is heat.. here you have the spurious voltages to contend with.. and malformed waveforms....
    Just beause the monitor can display it is not an indidication that all is well..more all is well on its way to destruction..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr