Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Spycar program to weed out rogue Antispyware programs

This is definitely about heuristic spyware detection. The concept of detecting spyware without a signature is "heuristic."

Quite frankly, I believe that internet connections should be suspended if users cannot prevent their machines from being zombied.

In an 'Ideal" world, all OS's would come preconfigured to not be exploitable
    No off the shelf OS is preconfigured to be unexploitable. Even Debian allowed for exploits. Not all of them were remote, but it was exploitable nonetheless.

Originally posted here by Synja
    This is definitely about heuristic spyware detection. The concept of detecting spyware without a signature is "heuristic."

Quite frankly, I believe that internet connections should be suspended if users cannot prevent their machines from being zombied.

No off the shelf OS is preconfigured to be unexploitable. Even Debian allowed for exploits. Not all of them were remote, but it was exploitable nonetheless.
    I still think we are at cross purposes: from the article...
    They're working on a new software product, called Spycar, that will test the effectiveness of antispyware products. "We decided the best way to do that would be to write a suite of tiny custom programs that each do a tiny spyware-like thing," said Tom Liston, a senior security consultant t Intelguardians LLC in Washington.
    I think that basically says, this program will detect wether or not the current Antispyware program on your PC is of any use??? I understand what you are saying as far as Antispyware detecting in real time Spyware/Malware, but I don't think that this is 'Spycar's" purpose?
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I'm just cranky.

Ignore me.