Thread: Japanese file sharing virus grabs secrets

Japanese file sharing virus grabs secrets

So far it has spilled military secrets and the private phone numbers of TV stars, airport security access codes and elementary school children's grades.

And the dirty work of this computer virus may not be done.
    The culprit is a digital worm that infects computers using the file-sharing Winny software, a Japanese computer program that, like the infamous Napster, was designed to allow people to easily swap music and movie files
    Perhaps most embarrassing have been the leaks from Japan's Self-Defense Forces, including data on surface-to-air missile tests and details of "Battle Scenario Training" for a simulated crisis on a transparently code-named "K Peninsula."
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines

I may be wrong, but I don't think anything quite like this has hit filesharing programs used in the western world. Surely it is only a matter of time.

I can understand personal information... but how on earth can a government allow classified material to reside on a machine with internet access?

I mean... someone needs to catch hell for this.

AOs Resident Troll
    but how on earth can a government allow classified material to reside on a machine with internet access?
    and a file sharing app on it??

I guess they dont have an AUP

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

but how on earth can a government allow classified material to reside on a machine with internet access?
    They are not, their security model has broken down long before it came to that.

1. They are allowing unsupervised removal of classified material from the workplace.
    2. They are allowing personal computing devices to be brought into the workplace
    3. They are allowing unauthorised devices to be connected to "secure" networks.

This is a total breakdown in PHYSICAL SECURITY you can go to the Ministry of Defence, copy whatever you like then go sell it to the North Koreans or Chinese (or both )

Well, what else would you expect from the mob who brought you Sony BMG's DRM?

Although this is an IT based incident, what it has actually done is expose a much more fundamental and far reaching weakness in the very fabric of their infrastructure. It includes DVDs, CDs, photocopies, manuscript copies, EVERYTHING!!!

Perhaps now is the time to put my 8mm Minox spy camera on e-bay?