Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: technical difficulties

Hmm odd graphic intensive progs..

intermittant... .. yeh ..

It is VERY probable that circuitry in the monitor is on the fritz.. how old the monitor?.. if the monitor is close to its specifications with the resolution it is running.. you can and will get that symptom.. typicly when the line osc is out of sync.. ..

Certainly follow the good advice given.. check your cables, check your video card... PAY ATTENTION as to when this happens.. HOW long has the PC been running.. is it in the middle of the day, late at night.. is it HOT or COLD in the room..
    When the symptoms appear.. wriggle the data cables at the back of the monitor.. then at the back of the tower.. slap the side of the monitor (seriously.. about bitch slap hard.. stinging hand not hurting..oh you dont want to knock the monitor off the desk.. it could land on someones foot)..
    On the video card end of things.. I would only fiddle here after you have cleared the monitor and data cables and connector.. I asked about heat before.. be aware that a video cards can have cooling fans.. thes can and do fail.. causing over heating and the all video stops..

WAIT: Question.. When you lose Video.. HOW do you get the display back? is it after a complete shutdown? do you have to leave the PC off for a while?..or just a simple restart? what?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Emachines

My computer is an Emachines i bought from wallmart i upgraded the memory to 1gig
    and put a 9550 ATI radeon graphics card in it when the monitor goes black and says
    NO VIDEO i do a complete shutdown and dont run the game
    or program that made it malfunction. and everything seems to be normal again

Undies~ is quite right, it could be the monitor.

But, you said:
    and put a 9550 ATI radeon graphics card in it
    Please go to the ATI site and make sure that you have the latest drivers for your card. I am afraid that ATI are somewhat lacking in that department

If you upgraded the graphics card can you try it with the old card? If you get the same problem then that points to the display/monitor

If you have onboard graphics, have you disabled them in your BIOS settings?

yes ill check to make sure the driver is updated

Stealth75711 Hey mate!

You probably think of me as a boring, pedantic, old fart, but I do have the saving grace that it took years of experience to get there

I have had quite a few problems with ATI Radeons over the past 7 or 8 years. The hardware is fine, but their drivers really suck seriously.

I built a box for a guy a while back, and he insisted on this (in those days) top of the range Radeon..................it gave problems from the start and the drivers were only 4 (four) weeks old!.......checked the site, and sure enough, there were new ones out

That solved the problem