Thread: Continually Crashing During Game Play.. Possible Power Issue.?

Continually Crashing During Game Play.. Possible Power Issue.?

Ive recently moved to an Intel 920 with an Abit AW8-MAX from an Opteron 146 with a DFI Ultra-D and im experiencing game reboots.
    In battlefield 2 i can sometimes get to Optimising Shaders, other times on the first video.
    I can sometimes play Quake 4 for 15mins before a reboot, other times little more or less.
    I can run 3dmark and ATI tool without problems as far as i can tell but havent tried too many times.

Im running an ATI X800XL so it doesnt have a power connector.
    My power supply is an Antec Truepower II 430w. The Intel 920 pulls a lot more power than the Opteron and ive had the 920 upto 4ghz so at first i thought maybe it was a power supply issue when i was only testing with battlefield 2.
    After being able to play for a while on Q4 i changed the chip back to the stock 2.8ghz but still cant load BF2. Havent tried Q4 at stock.
    Since the X800XL doesnt have a power connector and it pretty much at the top of what you can pull from a PCI-e slot is it possible its not getting enough power from the slot?

This is a clean install of windows XP with all latest drivers and patches.
    Could be a software issue but cant think of what else to try.

Ideas?

cheers
    front2back

Hi fronties~ is this the one that does funny things with tha AO AP popup?

If it is ATI, check that you have the latest drivers. Also make sure that the video card fan is running properly.

Then lower the video refresh rate.

When this problem happens again open the case, earth yourself and gently touch the video card, in particular the memory chips. This could be symtomatic of the card overheating or the memory chips on the way out.

Afraid that you may have a dud video card there mate.............can you test it in another box? also can you test another video card in that box?

Howdy.

Nihil this is a different Pc..
    Although i'm starting to think that Gremlins have chosen to mess with me.

Anyhow it's got the latest Drivers, i've checked the firmware site and couldn't find any extra bits..
    The fan is working correctly, it's not giong to fast, nor to slow and it's nice and clean..

Earthed myself checked the memory chips for overheating, and they are nice and cool..

I also switched it off, and took the card out, and inserted a old graphics card and no problems.
    Carn't test the card in another box as the other computer that has a usuable slot ie: The same type is currently in use and cannot be turned off..
    { Uploading a huge file at the moment. }

cheers
    f2b

Hi fronties~

I think we need to establish that the card is OK first.

Then try the other machine's card in the problem machine.

It could be a MoBo fault or a power issue. I would also check to see that you have the latest BIOS for that MoBo.

Antec is a manufacturer I would normally respect, but these days I suspect everyone (so what's new fronties~ mutters to himself )

I don't think it is Gremlins mate, I think manufacturing standards and QA/QC are being let slip. It is all made in China where they will work for the smell of an oily rag..................if the factory has not met quota or the dodgy stuff is too frequent I am sure that they just release it onto the market.

The manufacturers who have this stuff made and "badged" for them accept the hit because they are getting the stuff made so damn cheap they can afford to.

Hey this isn't just me mate, several of my oppos have been moaning about the same thing. When you are doing custom builds for people this is no joke, you have to fix the problems in your own time and you don't get paid for it

Howdy.

Well i was able to finally shut down the other machine, and so i threw in the card that was at question, and the machine went fine for about 20minutes then suddenly same problem appeared.
    Same game BF2, computer just restarts without warning..

The card is still under warrranty, so would it be fesible in returning it to manufacturer, or should i just go out and purchase a whole new one and be done with it.?

cheers
    front2back

Return it mate, even if you give the replacement to charity (I will PM you my addy )

Nah! if we do not enforce the costs on them, they will just take th p1$$ even more.

I thought that you had a dud card there mate

Howdy.

I'm actually more shocked that it's the card, as it's not that old..
    But then again gone are the days were you paid for quality, now they will pass anything onto the consumers without a care in the world weather it will last longer then a few months or not..

Anyhow as the saying goes. *Thread Closed*

OK fronties~

I will just move this one into "Hardware"