Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: programmers file editor

rogrammers file editor

is there any good and free one ? please let me know, i am new in programming. Thanks.

Just Another Geek
    Any perticular OS it should run on?

But how about ViM? Gui/console version.. Cross-platform.. Free.. Very powerfull.. Compatible with vi (which should be available on any *nix system)..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

windows xp thanks

I used JEdit - based on java, quite good. For smaller projects is JEdit quite enough. Lately I started using Eclipse - based on java again, more sophisticated than JEdit. It has a slightly different "work style" - you work with files in your workspace and when you are done you publish them. It also has some features that are really useful when working in groups such as CVS.

And if none of these two editors matches to your needs try PSPad. It's also good editor.
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

Hey Hey,

When you say file editor... do you mean text files (source code) or do you mean binary files (compiled)... For some reason File Editor to me means a hex editor.

In which case I'd say Hackman -- http://www.technologismiki.com/en/index-h.html

Since you're in Windows...I use Notepad++ for my text editor - http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Peace,
    HT

PS - Editted the thread title to add a p to programmers

I am looking for perl, and I found note pad is better option, however for php files and html , I don't want to use notpad because it doesn't give me line number, which is needed in most cases for ease of finding lines. If I want to use dreamweaver, i can but it takes lot of time to load since i have low spec computer.

what do you suggest for php and html files ( for quick edit ? )

Thanks folks, I think i have to stick with notepad for perl.

Well PSPad as suggested by sun7dots or htmlpad perhaps..

<offtopic>
    I personaly don't do development work on Windows..
    So I use VIM in console and Quanta+ and KDevelop for PHP and C++.
    </offtopic>
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

HTRegz gave the best solution with Notepad++.
    It's small, lightweight, gives line numbers and uses syntax highlighting for LOTS of different languages.

One of my all time favourite programs (funny how the simplest often are).
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

I'm going with HT for this one - Notepad++ is a really good option. It has great syntax highlighting for a variety of languages, and you should find some of its extra features to your liking.

Why not try all the ones which have been suggested and choose the one that suits you the most? It would be better to make your own decision than let us debate about which text editor is best..

thanks jinx and everybody