Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bypassing encryption password

T3h Ch3F
    Originally posted here by nihil
    [B]

Why do you think I am married to my third wife?

Nihil how do you even afford to wear clothes after two (2) divorces? Oh yea you never leave the keyboard....hehe..........for that matter how is it you still have a keyboard? You should only have half a key range to type in!

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Originally posted here by J_K9
    What, lie to your fiancee? Lol - Nihil, you shouldn't be offering such dangerous advice - this cowboy might just end up with a sore, marked cheek in a couple of hours
    see she knows better than to smack me , i enjoy it too much , now as for cast iron frying pans thats a diffrent story lol

AOs Resident Troll
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Ah! Thanks Morgana~

It uses exactly the same methodology as WinZip 9.0 and both are compatible with eachother. So, a tool that will recover WinZip 9.0 passwords should work with EncryptOnClick generated files as well.

Obviously it is up to the user to ensure that what they are doing is legal, but I am sure that the password recovery software will clearly state that as well.

MLF saves the day!

Yeah, if it is using that old, weak (WinZip 9) encryption, he could just go grab the nearest nine-year old to crack it.

Well it isn't "industrial strength" security for sure. I believe that it is to give some protection to data in transit which is why it compresses the file at the same time.

If you Google for WinZip, then search the results for "password recovery" you get 6.5 million hits, so I think that there are plenty of tools around. Its a bit like the MS Office "security" which is really only designed to protect against casual prying eyes. there are plenty of tools to recover those passwords as well.

Got that right. Nice of them in WinZip 10 to put in some real encryption, though. Have you checked that out? We're looking at it now.

Hi rapier~ ,

I must admit that I haven't looked at it in any sort of technical detail as I don't use compressed files very often.

I am something of a "market watcher" though, and have noticed the developments.

"Back in the day" there was WinZip and PKZip as the major contenders for commercial file compression applications. Hard drives were small and 3.5" floppies only held 720Kb. Zip files were more popular because of these storage constraints.

Later, the early internet over slow dial-up modems made them popular as well.

Nowadays there are far more compression tools around, and a number of them are free. Also we have DVD, CD and USB drives as transportable media. A lot of people have broadband, and even dial-up is 56.6. This has tended to reduce the attractiveness of file compression, just as the 3.5" floppy is waning in usage.

So, I would expect the providers of commercial compression software to start adding value to their products, basically they will have to if they are to survive.

Please let me know what you think of 10.0

Thank you everyone, i deleted the files im gonna help her tonight with making new ones

Originally posted here by romanticcowboy
    Thank you everyone, i deleted the files im gonna help her tonight with making new ones
    ha ha. The BEST possible outcome of this was to 'lose' said files. That cracks me up
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare