Thread: BIOS flashing problems :(

BIOS flashing problems :(

So the hard drive in my previous dilemma really wasn't recognized in the BIOS afterall. And so i decided to upgrade the BIOS so that it would recognize my larger drive.
    I am using AwardBIOS Flashing Ultlity v8.22A and i am pretty sure i have the right BIOS upgrade .bin file. My problem is that i am in the middle of flashing the BIOS and it's been about 30 minutes now since it started. It just says "please wait!" The floppy i am booting from is still spinning and the light is still on.

I don't want to just power off the computer because then the BIOS would be corrupted and i would be screwed. But i am afraid i am screwed anyway. I saved the previous state of the BIOS but i dont think i will be able to get back to where i can load it. So please help anybody. Tell me i'm not doomed. lol. Even if its a lie.

Nope !! ...If your BIOS flash realy didn't work ...you're screwed sorry to say !

Only thing you can do to recover from a failed BIOS flash is physically replace the bios-chip on your motherboard with a new (working) one. It probably means going back to the manufacturer that made your PC/laptop or motherboard.

Or maybe try these guys : Link

Or do a search with GOOGLE

Not positive maybe ...but ...you live and learn ...or how does that saying go

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Well i shut down the system, crossed my fingers and turned it back on. And luckily everything is still fine. I guess the flash didn't take. It's like it never actually started. So everything is still good. Thank goodness. But that still doesnt solve my problem of not having an updated BIOS. So i might try it again with either another program or different switches.

You said you were "pretty" sure you have the right BIOS flash file ... If you download the BIOS flash file from the manufacturer's website, doesn't it include a flashutility ? or is it that Award flash tool thing ? Anyway ... you man ...you were lucky

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

VAIO

Not all BIOS versions can be updated. I have quite a collection of 286/386/486/PI/PII and PIII machines that are in the same situation. That is probably what saved your a$$

If the drive did not come with a CD, please go to the HDD manufacturer's site and get their drive installation toolkit. This will contain a little program that will let you install the new drive as "C:\" and be workable both in the BIOS and Windows.

I won a Digital Venturis PI/133 in a raffle. It had a 1.7Gb HDD and no OS. The best it could recognise in the BIOS was 8.4Gb (another one of those BIOS watersheds). So I stuck a 60Gb 7,200rpm drive in it and used the drive maker's software. It found the drive and installed it correctly, it also found the 8.4Gb Quantum Bigfoot that I had slaved to it, and asked me if I wanted to format it..............I said OK and found that I actually had a 14.4Gb Bigfoot

The only problem is that with most of this software if you need to reformat, you have to reinstall the drive again before reinstalling your OS. Otherwise it works fine.