Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best router for internet connection

best router for internet connection

Hi,
    Being a newbie i was wondering what would be the best router for setting up a connection.
    I currently have one box connected to the web via a usb modem running xp sp2.I need to set up
    3 more,1 running fedora core 4 1 running win 98 and another running xp.

I have looked at various routers online and in my local pc store ,but am confused by all the various models e.g wireless and the like.

It would help me if someone could give me a few pointers in the right direction.

thanx

Hi

I have been using a Dlink 704P for two years now (non wireless) and it has 3 Pc's and a Sony Playstation (DMZ) hooked up to it, and I have never had any problems.

Only regret I may have , is all the wiring...

If cost is not a problem (they are getting cheaper every day anyways) go wireless, and save yourself the headache of running cable...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Thanks dalek,
    i checked out the link and it looks good.

I'm not too sure about the wireless option though,my home has really thick concrete interior
    walls.

cheers

If you're going to go for wireless, check out the Linksys WAG54G (or the WAG54GS, which uses SpeedBooster for a faster LAN connection). I have been using mine for almost 2 years now, and it has not failed me. As long as you have the latest firmware it is a stable a router as you can find, and in terms of routers it has a commendable DMZ. I highly recommend it.

As dalek said - if you go wireless, you may be spending more now, but it is worth it in the long run. Plus, you'll either have to thread the ethernet cables through the walls or have them running along the side of the room - neither of these are 'nice'

HTH,

-jk

[edit] Just read your edit. How thick exactly is this concrete? If it isn't metres wide, and there aren't too many of them in a specific direction, then it should be fine.. But if you think that it'll be a problem, go for dalek's router instead

check out the Linksys WAG54G (or the WAG54GS, which uses SpeedBooster for a faster LAN connection). I have been using mine for almost 2 years now, and it has not failed me
    LOL, untill you try to transfer files between Two hosts on ya LAN!

What's the problem with that?
    I run a WRT54G and have never had a problem with speeds

Security

Has Anyone stopped to think that security is important too?

Speed doesn't matter if your router is knocked out by a DOS or DDOS attack, which WRT54G's are frequently.

Also, look for a router from a company that supports the product with security patches, and firmware upgrades. An unpatched router is vulnerable.

Also, if you have an unused machine and some technical expertise, turn it into a Linux firewall... Even if you are a newbie, there are many good distros of linux made for firewalls that allow easy installation and configuration, and easy updates.

Try:
    Smoothwall
    Astaro (home lisences are free: just apply)

Has Anyone stopped to think that security is important too?

Speed doesn't matter if your router is knocked out by a DOS or DDOS attack, which WRT54G's are frequently.

Also, look for a router from a company that supports the product with security patches, and firmware upgrades. An unpatched router is vulnerable.

Also, if you have an unused machine and some technical expertise, turn it into a Linux firewall... Even if you are a newbie, there are many good distros of linux made for firewalls that allow easy installation and configuration, and easy updates.

Try:
    Smoothwall
    Astaro (home lisences are free: just apply)
    If you are relying on your router for security, you're already screwed.

The router has only one purpose, traffic control.

I have never had a DoS problem with my WRT54G, and probably never will. It is a matter fo keeping it patched.

Banned
    I personally like this one

It on the expensive side but at least you won't have to worry about connection droping. At least not too often

moderate and nice

AOs Resident Troll
    For home use...I like dlinks...

For the end user they are easy to use.....and they stop the noise on the internet...allows you to have several computers.......one connection

I have an older wireless version....as with 4 kids...all about to be teenagers soon....I will have need for more computers then the several we run right now.

And I am not going to be running a whole bunch of CAT5 through my house....so I plan to go wireless upstairs....we already have 2 wireless laptops....

There are boosters, repeaters and access points that will all help along in the process.

You can hop the router to switches if needed....for hardwired connections...

Wireless is great.....because I can run away to another room when I get invaded by the kids or need to focus on what I am doing

Go wireless...allows for future expansion

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer