Printer Sharing in XP

Thread: Printer Sharing in XP

Printer Sharing in XP

Greetings All,
    I am having a prob with sharing my printer (not the all-in-one I list below) over my home network. I previously had a Gateway machine running XP that blew it's motherboard. I bought a new HP recently and since I have not been able to share the printer with other laptops on the network. I shared the printer when I had the Gateway and it worked fine...but now.....hmmmmm.

Specs: A Home network wireless G using Linksys Router
    A Printer (HP) is USB connected to an HP desktop running XP home
    The HP desktop is connected to router via ethernet
    Also, HP All-in-one PSC is ethernet connected to the router and prints test pages from ALL computers on the network
    The HP printer only prints test pages from the computer it is DIRECTLY connected to, not from any other machine on the wireless network (which all run XP home, btw)

How do I share the printer that is USB connected to the HP machine with all the other computers on my network???

I had worked on this a lot last night...I know it has to be an easy setting and I'm just missing it, because that's all it was before when I had the Gateway. I hope I provided more than enough information to help me out......Thanks in advance!!!....eric
    I killed your cat you druggy b****, I thought it would bring closure to our relationship. --Rocco, Boondock Saints

What firewall are you using? this may interfere.

you can share a printer fairly easy in windows:
    - Click "Start" then "Settings" then "Printers and Faxes"
    - Right click on the printer you wish to share.
    - Click "sharing"
    - Change the radio box from "Do not share this printer" to "Share this printer"
    - Give the printer a share name. For example "myprinter" to make it announced. "myprinter$" to make it hidden.
    (Tip: Some 9x boxes with older drivers dont like printer shares longer than 8 characters)

Now, to add the shared printer to other computers!
    - Click "Start" then "Settings" then "Printers and Faxes"
    - Double-click "Add Printer"
    (Tip: Sometimes there won't be an "Add Printer" icon. In that case, right click inside the "Printers and Faxes" folder and click "Add Printer" in the right-click menu.)
    - The "Add Printer Wizard" will appear, click next.
    - Highlight the "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" radio box.
    - You can "Browse" for a printer, or manually type in the printer by highlighting "Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this option and hit Next):"
    (Tip: If you do it manually, the printer will be in the "\\<computer name>\<printer share name>" format.)
    - Hit next once you find the printer.

PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson