Thread: Dreamweaver Help

Dreamweaver Help

Hey

Ive got dreamweaver and created a site , I have also create a short flash intro.

What I want to do is have the flash into run first and then once its finished running it opens the site into the index.html ( homepage).

Anyone know how I go about doing this in dreamweaver ?

thanks

Well, if you know how long the flash file lasts, you can always use a crude HTML-embedded redirect script (and set the time to about a second or two longer than the length of the flash file). Here's an example (use the Coding View to implement this - special parts in bold):
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    function redirect(){
    window.location = "fileToRedirectTo.html"
    }
    //-->
    </script>
    </head>
    <body onLoad="setTimeout('redirect()', 45000)">
    <p>Flash file and other stuff goes here</p>
    <!-- Redirect will happen after 45000 milliseconds = 45 seconds -->
    </body>
    </html>
    Cheers,

-jk

if you know how long the flash file lasts, you can always use a crude HTML-embedded redirect script
    While this will certainly work it is not the best way to do what you want. The problem with this method is that even if you know how long the actual animation plays, you can never be sure how long it takes to load. You are almost guaranteed to have the redirect NOT happen at the correct time.
    In fact, HTML (or JAVA) is not the best place to do this at all - flash (actionscript) is.

The best way to do what you want is to use the actionscript getURL() function in the last frame in your flash file. For more info on this command you can look it up in the flash documentation.

Code:
    getURL("index.html")
    Hope this helps,

omin
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

Hi,

I played about with flash intros for a little while and came to the conclusion that whilst they can look really good, they only look good the first or second time, after that they start to get a bit annoying, having to wait for them to end etc.

To combat this i always added a button underneath the intro that said "click here to go straight to the index" or something along those lines. This did two things:

First it allowed people who didn't want to see it to skip it. They might not want to see it for a number of reasons, but the most common are that they've seen it before and are bored of it, or that they have a slow connection and it would take a long time to load it.

Secondly it got around the problem of working out how to forward them when it finished because they just did it themselves.

Not quite the answer you are looking for, but rather my experience with flash intro's.

Hope it helps, post the url when you're finished making it.

EDIT: And i too agree with Omin that putting a timed delay would be temperemental at best. The only thing more annoying than being forced to watch a flash intro is to then be cheated out of seeing the ending
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet