Thread: Remote Administration

Remote Administration

Hey everyone,

I've been using remote desktop for Windows, but was looking into some other type of remote administration type of software I can use. I did some google searches and came up with a few, but wanted to check with the members here to see what they would recommend.

RealVNC is excellent and they have a free version of it!

http://www.realvnc.com/

Rean VNC is one I"ve used a few times in the past. Any security issues with the free version?

Yep..it alows you to take over someones computer....remotley!

Haha... yeah. I was actually reading up on it right now. Looks like the Enterprise Edition has a lot more security features with it. I guess what makes it stand out, so far, is that it runs using the Java Virtual Machine.

Have you ever used the Enterpise Edition? I remember back when I used VNC (free version), it set the ports on the router for me. I know this sounds like a security issue, but I kinda want that. The people on the other end don't know how to set up port forwarding, which makes it tough for me to set up Remote Desktop (Windows).

Is this the same people in your other thread?

Im not sure about the security issues with the free version - we used the free version in my last job which was with a pretty bif telecoms company who are paraniod about security - I dont think they would use it if it was too easy to exploit.

But again dont take my word for that!

IIRC it is prety self configuring - dont think it will be able to change open ports on your router though -you will prolly have to do this yourself! if the people your trying to help dont know how to do it they can always allow remote administration for the router so you can log on over the net and do it for them.

Haha, man..I tried that. I had trouble talking them through their router interface. That's the problem with these GUI interfaces, they're not all the same. I don't think they have any beefy routers anyway, probably just some home versions with everything set to default.

I'll probably try the free version of VNC. Once installed, I could probably set everything else up myself.

Have you ever tried msn messenger and remote assistance? I can get it to work within Hawaii, but not other states.