Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blacklisted by BLARS!!!

Angry blacklisted by BLARS!!!

Hello all, Recently users started to complain that they couldn't send to certain email addresses. Everything checked out on the Exchange server. So I did a DNSBL lookup and noticed I was on the Blars List. This guy is asking for cash for removal. What gives?

Feed him to the FEDs.............if you are that squeaky clean?

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...looks like your ISP has been blocked...maybe because it is spammer friendly???

I would contact your ISP...to see if they can get you unblocked....because you are paying THEM for service...which they are not providing you with...if they cant fix it

change ISP

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I did call my ISP and they wanted to get in contact with Blars!!! This is ridiculous. Any input is appreciated.

http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I would go to the Feds and/or speak to a lawyer about the legality of this. This sounds somewhat like extortion. I have to say I've never heard of this situation before.

If you would like a site be added or removed from BlarsBL, you may hire Blars at his normal consulting rates (currently $250/hour, 2 hour minimum, $1000 deposit due in advance for non-established customers) to investigate your evidence about the site.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AOs Resident Troll
    If it is found that the entry was a mistake, no charge will be made and the entire deposit will be refunded. Send Blars email from a non-listed account to verify current rates and arrange payment.
    Not sure of the legality.....but no charge is incurred if blocked in error

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    MLF: yes but in the meantime you have to send him the $1000, which he may earn interest on and get your credit card, and then he refunds you -- if he determines it was in error. Notice that sites are put on the list by "wim" [sic].

The BlarsBL is maintained by Blars at his wim. Use for any purpouse should be done at your own risk, and Blars is not responsible for use by anyone but himself.
    This would suggest to me that the "error" may also be a whim.

Additionally, he returns the deposit but doesn't say anything about having to charge you the 2 hour fee.

My gut response: smells rather fishy IMO.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

This is not a low collateral damage list.
    http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html

I wouldn't waste my time talking to BLARS, I would try to convince
    those blocking you that BLARS is not a "mainstream" block list
    and shouldn't be trusted. The guy seems to be a loose cannon.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

those blockers would be yahoo, roadrunner, sbcglobal and others.... I think it would be tough to convice them.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The BlarsBL is maintained by Blars at his wim. Use for any purpouse should be done at your own risk, and Blars is not responsible for use by anyone but himself.
    A better strategy would be to contact the ASN for the blars domain and explain what he is up to. I bet you that the upstream provider will rain down fire on his head based on the extortion/nonsense that is taking place here.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden