WARNING: A-Squared FALSE POSITIVES

Thread: WARNING: A-Squared FALSE POSITIVES

WARNING: A-Squared FALSE POSITIVES

I am posting it here in the hope that most people see it

For those using the A-Squared anti-malware package, the latest set of definitions is reporting false positives.

In particular it is reporting UNINSTALLER programs such as "WISE" and .uns suffixes.

I would recommend ignoring what it finds until revised definitions are available.

It may also target file recovery items, as it found "Free Undelete" on my machine.

As this is not a particularly well known product, other than to those interested in security matters it may take a little while for the information to filter through, so if you know anyone who uses the product please advise them accordingly.

I tested the suspect items with 2 AVs, Spybot, EWIDO, and AD-Aware and they were "clean". The file details had not changed (size, date) either, so I am sure that these are false positives.

Anyway, malware that infected uninstaller software wouldn't get that far would it, as you don't run the "host" applications very often?

Good Luck

Ta... and ... Bugger.. do you mean I have to think for a while?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Do the makers of AČ already know about that?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    hey rck, just so you know if you see a post with a flashing date that means its old and shouldnt be posted to as the person most likeily already has their problem solved. im just giving you the heads up there
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

rck

I am a firm believer in the old school approach of informing the vendor first

Version 2.0 is now available and does not seem to have the problems, but if you enable the riskware scan option you might still get stuff that you deliberately loaded yourself reported.

That is "by design"