Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer as an antivirus app

When Trend Micro is running it detects the network virus or trojan before it gets to your PC, it is not "scanning", it is live detection, as long as the virus/trojan is in the data base of Trend Micro it will detect the malware's signature, and quarantine the virus/trojan before it gets onto your PC, wether through a properly locked down IE or configured FF browser.

This is before the fact not after......
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

So... it gets the malware before it has connected to a vulnerable service?

And it gets it before the download starts?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Pardon my frank response, but why the hell would anyone trust mobile code executing on their host from a site that claims to be doing AV scanning? This model is one of the most widely used vectors used by criminals world-wide.

ActiveX and Java are the *worst* things you can allow to execute on your host. If IE is the best antivirus solution then Windows is the most stable OS.

The logic here, to me, is like saying that I'm going to leave my door wide open so that the criminals don't break the door off the hinges when they come to rob me.

-TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

The logic here, to me, is like saying that I'm going to leave my door wide open so that the criminals don't break the door off the hinges when they come to rob me.
    Actually, when I was building houses, after I finished the interior woodwork, I'd leave the door unlocked.

That way... when the locals jacked the new appliances, I wouldn't have to come back to replace the door. If it's locked, they just kick it in... Hey South St. Pete has its own rules....

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    That way... when the locals jacked the new appliances, I wouldn't have to come back to replace the door.
    Then you were doing it wrong... You placed your things of value before you could properly protect them... Bad idea... The things of value are the last things you place... otherwise you lose them, anywhere, not just south St. Pete... Basic rule of any kind of security....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Then you were doing it wrong... You placed your things of value before you could properly protect them... Bad idea... The things of value are the last things you place... otherwise you lose them, anywhere, not just south St. Pete... Basic rule of any kind of security....
    Wasn't my decision. The comany that contracted us made that choice. For example... THe alarms aren't active until a few weeks after the house is finished, the code is the same in every house they build from Lakeland to Sarasota, and there is a master key that opens every house. When you consider how many people are unlikely to change the alarm code or the locks when they move in....

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    OK... I retract my statement...

_Everyone_ is doing it wrong...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

_Everyone_ is doing it wrong?

Even Microsoft?

Don't tell HT...

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

And why the hell WOULD anyone trust mobile code executing on their host from a site that claims to be doing AV scanning?

Maybe they trust the site? Might not be good policy on a network, but for a home PC, I'll take what I can get. I hate to quote one of America's premier a-holes, but "you go to war with what you got"...

You guys need to get out of your ivory towers more often.

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

So... it gets the malware before it has connected to a vulnerable service?
    sometimes, that is the idea.

And it gets it before the download starts?
    The AV is supposed to intercept the download, determine if it has a malicious payload, and isolate it ( or prevent it from being downloaded, depending how it is configured ) before it can install itself and do any damage if it is deemed malicious. The download must start for the AV to intercept it.

I’m talking here about client side solutions, not on-line scans. ( the original statement concerning AV was extremely broad. )

As far as on-line scans, I have used them, but don’t necessarily like to. Sometimes they are easier for the layman, sometimes they will point someone in the right direction to start. But they are not my first choice, just an alternative. The target audience and situation should be considered before recommending them. But if they find something, that something has already started to do its damage. The horse has already left the barn, now you have to go chase it down, then figure out how and why it got out, then try to fix it.

To clean a box, I much prefer disconnecting it completely from any and all connections, using known good software, stand-alone. Even for my own boxes here at home, I don’t rely solely on my AV, but periodically take boxes off-line and check them with known ( believed to be to be more precise ) good software, as well as checking for rouge programs, proper permissions, etc. Not everyone does this, most users don't know how, thus why I clean so many boxes!

I also try to educate people when the box is returned, to prevent further situations. But sometimes, that is hopeless.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes