Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding an unknown local IP address?

What is the make/model of the router?

So if I am reading all this correctly - you have a router that is working fine but you cant find out the IP address of it / or its interface depending on what type of router it is?

Is that correct so far?

Smile

Warriorfan88, the router with 8 switch ports was solely being used in place of a switch, so the WAN and uplink ports were not used. Nmaping the local IP subnet on all physical ports gives the results we've been getting.

I think you're mistaken on the
    "only using the switch portion which would only be bound to the MAC tables"
    statement. Consumer grade switches (Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, whatever..) allow browser access to the internal configuration page(s) using an IP while connected to the switch side.

Nokia, I've come across a few brands with this problem, so the make and model of this puppy is Linksys WRT54G with wireless OFF. (Edit: In answer to your question, correct.)

(not directed towards Nokia, but to all)
    The brand/model does not matter in this situation. In my first post, devices default IP based on experience or the devices support docs is no help at all.
    In this case, It does not matter whether it's connected to a network or simply sitting there on your table.

The question is: How do we find which IP address (out of possible thousands) the device is storing and using?
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

The reason I asked for the make and model was to see the ways possible you can connect to it and what its default IP maybe.

Try this - attatch two W/S's to it and trace route from one to the other.

The IP you connect to is nothing to do with the switch - most switches do not need an IP to function and are only usually assigned one for brevity reasons. in this paticular case it is the router part of it that has the IP - not the switch part.

If it is acting as a gateway of anykind it would obviously need an IP - but as you said it is acting purley as a switch. therefore it wont really need an IP, which is why your Nmap scans are not returning any results.

Hope it helps!

Attaching two W/S to it thru the switch ports and trace routing only shows the other computer as:

Tracing route to 192.168.1.5 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.1.5

Trace complete.

Nokia, after reading your post, I wondered what I said to evoke the switch/IP instructions. And then I found my error as quoted:
    Consumer grade switches (Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, whatever..) allow browser access...
    I meant Consumer grade routers.... sorry, I didn't re-read my post clearly.

ZT3000

I can see where the confusion is coming from - although, yes it is a router you have, the WRT54G incorperates a 4 port switch - in essence this is not strictly part of the router - I mean yes obviously its attached to it but with you not using it for any WAN links etc and are just using the LAN ports locally - it is only being utilized as a switch.

The trace route result illustrates this by not giving you an IP for that paticular hop. It simipily does not have an IP address - it doesnt need one. It is a layer 2 device remember.

If you are using it as a gateway with something like a WAN link then it will need to be configured with an IP - the Internet and WAN port is part of the switch but are on a different VLAN.

Have a look in the ARP cache of a connected workstation to see what it has there.

Thats my theory anyways!

The ARP cache of the workstations only contain each other MAC, nothing else.

I'm not sure if this thread is getting sidetracked on peripheral issues, but I'm trying to find the method to access the IP address of the internal Web page server within the device to make changes. It doesn't matter WHAT changes.

Although we've all had good discussion, a sure-fire method (even step by step if desired) has not been discussed.

Simple things like, reset to factory default using the hardware button, looking up product documentation has been discussed in my first post. It don't work.

Assume you are getting paid to figure this out onsite with the client staring you down, what would YOU do?
    ZT3000

Triple my fee!

I see what you mean about wanting to config it now - yup got a bit side tracked!

You could try this - isolate it from the rest of the network and have one W/S connected to it- see if the gets a DHCP IP address - if it does - ipconfig /all and take a look at what assigned it the IP - then you will have the routers IP.

I would....

1. Pull out my cell phone and call the manufacturer's support line.......

2. Pull the connections, pick up router, and say "I will have this back for you on Monday Sir"

3. Pull out connections, pick up router and exchange for a newer model.

4. Pull out gun, shoot self in head....jk

Just a little levity, for this thread, ignore if you so desire....

It's a great day...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ok...

Your using the device in the "switch mode"... IOW, it doesn't need an IP address to function perfectly well. It's default IP will be any one of the following:-

I don't recall which.

Now, since that is irrelevant what the IP is in the current way you use it it's quite possible that the damn thing is f$ked with regard to it's web interface because that should respond if requested. Seen these things function perfectly well in all facets except one...

Silly question... Did you scan the network for port 443, (SSL), what about 8000 or 8080? Just in case....

Anyone know if this make/model can have one of those custom firmwares uploaded? That's a thought...

Subnetting issue on your network... if you aren't using a /24 or better netmask your scan might not see the web interface..

Just throwing out thoughts here....

Silly question... Why is buying a cheap switch and putting it there a bad idea? That's all you seem to be using this as right now or is this an academic exercise too.

Random thoughts... Do with them as you will....

Good to see you around again BTW...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Dalek,

I find option #4 an interesting proposition.

If this was onsite at a working client site, the only option for removing the router is temporary (not over the weekend) and replacing it would be nigh impossible if the client simply says to you:
    "Look, I can see the router works fine but I was recommended to hire you to make changes to my existing network, not to go buy new equipment which I don't need and won't buy. If you can't fix this simple problem, then what am I hiring you for?"

Clients like this exist in RL, and if one cannot convince the client the equipment is really broke, then he/she's going to think they hired an idiot as they reach to dial another number.

ZT3000