Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finding an unknown local IP address?

What do you need to configure it for? As in, what changes are you trying to make?

Anyone know if this make/model can have one of those custom firmwares uploaded?
    Yep it can - linksys release the source code for it unter the GNU GPL so there is all sorts of firmware's floating around for it.

Tiger,

Silly answer... Yes, we did. All those ports and more.

Anyone know if this make/model can have one of those custom firmwares uploaded?
    Ah...good question. One piece of this puzzler perhaps?

Subnetting issue on your network... if you aren't using a /24 or better netmask your scan might not see the web interface..
    Oooo...Now the shark is biting! Best answer yet but it's only one bite.

Why is buying a cheap switch and putting it there a bad idea?
    Client says to "fix what I got", not buy new, unless you can prove it's broke. Anyways, earlier I remarked, you can test it temporarily not connected to a network, say on a table.
    (Also, not a bad idea about replacing router/switch, but won't work here due to client demands. Moreover, one cannot simply replace switches/routers each time they have no idea how to enter.)

This is not an academic exercise, as you've even said:
    Seen these things function perfectly well in all facets except one...
    Great to see you again Tiger (and the gang).
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    "Look, I can see the router works fine but I was recommended to hire you to make changes to my existing network, not to go buy new equipment which I don't need and won't buy. If you can't fix this simple problem, then what am I hiring you for?"

Clients like this exist in RL, and if one cannot convince the client the equipment is really broke, then he/she's going to think they hired an idiot as they reach to dial another number.
    I see two options that I would use if I were you. Either works for me when proceeded with:-

You hired me to look at this. I've given you a recommendation within the parameters you will allow, so....

1. ... it works as it is, you don't want it changing, so leave it alone. Here's my bill.

2. ... so you hired an idiot. Here's my bill.

Followed by.... "It's 10 days gross, thank you"
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

1. ... it works as it is, you don't want it changing, so leave it alone. Here's my bill.

2. ... so you hired an idiot. Here's my bill.

Followed by.... "It's 10 days gross, thank you"
    Can't argue with that.
    ZT3000

Elite Hacker
    So when you reset it to the "new defaults" the dhcp server is off?

The model of router you have is one that you can install linux on (I'm pretty sure). Now, if someone was able to do that, Would resetting it to defaults restore the original system, or would it restore to whatever they flashed on there with its defaults? If someone was able to do this, they probably could have changed the defaults. Perhaps they configured it just how they wanted, then disabled all communication directly to it only allowing transparent communication?

The way I see it is if resetting it doesn't restore it to the actual factory defaults, then it's either screwed up, or someone did something to it for a specific purpose. Sorry I didn't provide you with a way to get the interface. I'm basically saying someone may not want you to, and made it to where you couldn't.

Sounds like a Belkin router I own. Worked fine for a time, then started getting buggy, couldn't bring it up the web interface. Even though it continued to do it's job, there was no way I could config it. The reset didn't work either, just as you describe your problem.

I called Belkin and got an RMA as it was still under warranty. Bagged the router for a Smoothwall, got busy on some other chit, and forgot to return it to mfg'er. It sat in a box for several months. A few months later, I was pitching some gear and found it. Hooked it up and it was working fine. Go figure. In fact, I still use it.

Any way you can take it down? Maybe for a weekend?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Plug the wan port into an internet gateway and run the original install
    cd on one of the workstations. Maybe that will wake it up.
    The default ip is 192.168.1.1. Maybe it will remain invisible as long as nothing
    is connected to the wan port, because, as already stated, as a switch
    it is invisible. You got a small brass hammer?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

What is the default gateway of the main router? If you're running 192.168.1.1 and that is the default for the new router, you probably have a layer 3 conflict.

If this is the case, change your subnet to something else and then give it a go. If you want to make sure you can see the router for now on, do some subnetting and apply the proper subnet mask.

If you haven't changed the subnet for the original router, you should do it anyway. They stuck with the default at work and then later had to change it because of VPN issues (home networks usually stick with the default too). The worste part of it all, everyone was managing their own printers locally, so I had to go around and change ports for everyone. Would have saved time to bring in another server, the one we're using is already doing way too much.

sorry for getting off the subject.

yeah..try looking at the subnet.

Warriorfan...

I don't remember the default gateway router IP, but know this, I get the exact same results whether it's connected to the network or if it's sitting on the table all alone with only a single ethernet cable from my laptop to one of it's ports.
    Subnet?
    What do you want me to do with the subnet? (Be specific please)

RCGreen,
    Install CD? That's an idea.
    (later)...nope. the install CD couldn't find the router/switch.
    No brass hammer but I have a small hard rubber mallet, will that do?

Brokencrow, I will have time again to take it down, but just for an hour.

I think the client might be wondering if he should replace me with someone who knows how to enter an unknown router. Ouch.
    ZT3000

<i>I think the client might be wondering if he should replace me with someone who knows how to enter an unknown router. Ouch</i>

Don't you hate that stuff. I once ran defrag and then scan disk on a workstation and the next day the hard drive crashed. The user was given a network drive and was told to back up all data there, but she decided not to. Once her HD crashed, I really was in hot water. They all thought I somehow defragged wrong or ran scan disk wrong, I was like..WTF!!!

Luckily I was able to do a little data recovery to get some of that data back. Now I got her on roaming profile with her MyDocuments redirected to her Network Drive. After recovering, I found that she was saving everything there as if it was some magical place.

So, I know what you mean about clients not knowing jack, but expecting you to work miracles.

My next suggestion would be to open the router up and making sure the reset button is working. There might just be a continuity problem with a PT pair or something. Also, you've wasted enough time on this. If the router is a cheap POS, then tell your client that it would be financially in his interest to purchase a new router. Not sure how much he's paying you, but yoru time is money and the quicker you get this problem fixed, not the router, the faster productivity is back on track.

To keep him at ease, let him know that you will be contacting the manufacturer about the warranty. After they repair the router, they can send it back and it can be used as a backup just in case something else fails. Hardware isn't perfect, even the best of routers goes bad.