Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to SP2 vs. factory install

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Upgrading to SP2 vs. factory install

Typically I research this stuff on my own but time is against me on this one so I'm throwing out the SOS here.

Situation:
    ===============
    An application runs fine if a host is upgraded to SP2, however, crashes like a meteorite if the host comes preloaded with SP2.

Can anyone confirm
    ===============
    Which files are left untouched when upgrading to SP2. I highly suspect that there must be a file(s) that are/is not upgraded during the process.

Any confirmed feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AOs Resident Troll
    Sorry cant help you with the files

One thing though I have seen when installing some apps.....I have to reinstall the service pack and fixes...because the application has overwritten a dll...or some other file....making the OS unstable with version conflicts

This is mostly with 2000\NT...and not XP...dont have enough experience with XP and various apps...Yet

maybe its a post SP 2 fix that is stablizing the app..??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Nope.

We've isolated the issue. I'm almost certain that the reason it works is because during the upgrade one or more files are not upgraded. The question now becomes is this 100% accurate and if so, which files are not upgraded.

If I had time, I would do a fresh install and an upgrade in two VMs then use a file watch program to do a "diff" against the results. This would tell me the answer I seek, however, I don't have that kind of time on my hands so I'm scrambling on this one.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AOs Resident Troll
    sorry

cant help

the only xp disks I have ..include SP2

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

deleted my other answer. You could try to use either filemon from systernals or depends from microsoft to see what files and dll are used by your program.
    Depends will tell you exactly what dll will be called when you run the application as well as their version. filemon will show you in real time what files are used by your application.
    I had a similar problem but in NT so it is possable that you are right in what is happening. the only way to be sure is to check the versions of the files.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Could you not remove SP2 from the factory machines and then re-install it your self?

You could use the Use the hidden %windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst folder method and incorperate it into a logon script if you have too many boxs to do it manually.

Maybe not an ideal solution but even if you find out which file is causing the problem, theres prolly not a lot you can do about it, other than remove sp2 it and re-install it!

Yeah, there are a number of avenues I can take to get around it. None are ideal as mentioned. I can uninstall SP2, then install SP1 and continue on from there. We're trying to avoid this "solution".

Thanks again.

It may be better if we know the application that is not working? As you know there are a lot of known issues and fixes for these type of problems.

MS have a list of app's that have known / expected problems.

Just a quick question on your comparison. Are you talking about a factory install disc (Dell/HP/Compaq Recovery Disc) or OEM XP SP2 OS disc?

I know that Recovery Disc usually have altered ini's, and the random dll. Usually this is done for branding but sometimes it is for system configuration.

The app is a custom 3rd party app designed specifically for us. There are no other installs on earth except for here.

The Install that comes right from Dell or any host that goes directly to SP2 without hitting each step of an upgrade path such as SP1, etc.