MB incompatible with suse 9.3 pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MB incompatible with suse 9.3 pro

Unhappy MB incompatible with suse 9.3 pro

hi!
    I want to install SuSE 9.3 professional on my GIGABYTE GA-8IPE1000 hyperthreading motherboard, but each time i face problems, errors. I checked their compatability list and it said <unknown>. Is there a workaround, or something i can do such as command line installation/hacking so that i get it installed? if not, is there any linx distro to work with my MB?
    If not, what affordable MB`s are known to work well under linux (im planning to run linux only on it)

Thanks guys
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

Good Day,

When I posted the HCL on your other thread that displayed the “unknown”, that doesn't mean that it doesn't. SuSE works wonderfully on other GAGABYTE Hyperthreaders. That designation means that it hasn't been tested or confirmed. If we go back to your original thread for the problems you were encountering, maybe we can help you relsolve them before you make any purchases. Also please provide all the information about your computer – type of hard drive, cdrom, previous OS, amount of memory, etc.

On your previous thread you indicated:

it fails to install a package called shared-mime-info,...
    This package requires > Glib-2.4.1, libxml2-2.6.9, and Perl modules. If you didn't included those or resolve the dependancies before the install, then the “shared-mime-info” package probably would have been install. That package is not critical and SuSE should have worked fine withou it anyway. You can download a newer version later. The older version of “shared-mime-info” was bugging aways.

when it finishes the first CDROM and wants to reboot to continue procedures like giving root password etc. etc. it just boots to the CDROM and installation procedures form scatch come back again. And if i choose <boot from harddisk> it hangs while booting. What`s the problem?
    There are many possible causes for this condition. If you have a hardware issue – bad hardrive. If you didn't select the appropriate boot options during install. If your partitioning is messed up. If during install the IDE's were mis-labeled (i.e. hard drive labeled hdc vs hda or hdb. Bad CD or CD Play/Recorder – all necessary files not copied. If another piece of hardware was not supported and the drivers were not installed. And so on...

Some chipsets are the issue as well. If you have a SIS chipset and it hangs, you can start the install utitlizing the following boot:

insmod=ide-generic

This has cured the problem for other folks.

Anyway info please...errors you received if different than before, steps you took etc.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

yes thank you Relyt, the failed package or problem isn't always shared-mime-info, last time it was a package called hal, and other times it was other packages, i dont remember. Hardware info as follows: 38 GB IDE hardrive (samsung SV4002H) set as master on first IDE port, DVD burner set as master on second IDE port, processor P4 2.4 GHz, RAM 512 MB, no other OS's, partitoning: 16 GB root partition (primary) , 1.5GB swap (logical), previous OS: windows.
    I resolved dependancies in package selection, new cd player, did previous installations using it
    about that SIS, i dont know, shall i try it?

thank you
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)

Howdy.

And sorry for posting in a old thread, but just wondering if the version of suse that he is trying to install was it the 64Bit version.? Or the 32Bit version?
    As the 32Bit version will throw out similar errors if installed.

You should of recieved a warning message before installtion saying that you are trying to install a 32bit install on a 64bit box.

cheers
    f2B

I actually made this mistake once. I put in the 9.1 DVD and had the wrong side. It came up saying "Cool software dude, but this processor isn't 64 Bit".... I thought that was great lol.

This is the problem with hardware. People buy it and don't check if it's compatible with anything.

So far I've been lucky and everything here works good with Linux AND BSD.

Dude, get a new MOBO, or use an older one you might have lying around and try again, it's not software's fault when Hardware doesn't want to play nice.

This is the problem with hardware. People buy it and don't check if it's compatible with anything.
    That is sooooo true!

1. Wrong USB version
    2. Wrong AGP slot/card version
    3. Incompatible modem (I won't even mention Winmodems )
    4. Incompatible memory

I was sitting in a bar (strange how that sort of thing happens to me?) and I overheard a guy bemoaning the fact that his wife had bought a new computer that had 256Mb of RAM, and that he had bought a 512Mb stick at the same time but his machine would not recognise it.

I politely got his attention and explained that I was interested because I messed around with computers a bit. I suggested that perhaps his (older) machine did not recognise anything bigger than 256Mb and his first option should be to try the 512Mb in his wife's machine to see if it worked there.............if it did put it into slot 0/1 and put her 256mb into his.

Went back a few days later and found that there were two beers behind the bar for me. One from himself and one from the Wife. They now both had double their previous RAM and everything worked just fine.............but that does demonstrate gore's point?

EDIT:

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to gore again.
    OH Well!..............................It was a very good point anyways

Hello guy's! well first of all my mobo is a pentium 4 not an AMD (64 bit) and im installing using the cd's not the DVD's, and i didnt receive such a warning.

(I'm glad you noticed my thread)

Originally posted here by HackerzMaster
    Hello guy's! well first of all my mobo is a pentium 4 not an AMD (64 bit) and im installing using the cd's not the DVD's, and i didnt receive such a warning.

(I'm glad you noticed my thread)
    Howdy.

Your Mb is a 64Bit board. I've got one in another machine, and it uses the 64bit version of suse.

so i stand by the fact that you are trying to install the 32bit version of suse, not the 64bit version like you should be.

f2B

I'll stand by that. The CDs are lamost always 32 but only and the DVD is what contains 64 bit.

Thanks a lot guys, im right on it, and i'll tell you what happens.