Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Anti Spyware or Spyware removers?

Best Anti Spyware or Spyware removers?

I searched for a thread that went over this but didn't find anything very new. I wanted to see what type of spyware people used on here, paid or free. If it's paid, maybe a link to the program and how much they paid for it.

Here's what I use so far:

Ad-Aware SE: It's free and is very simple to use. The drawbacks is that it doesn't automatically update or scan.

Spybot S&D: Basically just like Ad-Aware SE. I use this in hopes that if Ad-Aware SE misses something, this one will get it.

Hijackthis: When all else fails, I use Hijackthis. I wouldn't recommend it to someone that didn't know what they were doing. Unless they actually knew how to follow directions and weren't too proud to ask for help.

I wanted to see what type of spyware people used on here, paid or free
    I dont use any not intentionally anyways!

I use spybot S&D and adaware (both of which I think you'll find recommended by most here).
    Those 2 + some AV and a good (properly configured) browser should go a long way. And ditch the P2P.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    there is a list here of both free and some paid for progs that I've used.
    also the thread contains others that people seem to like.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Ad-Aware and Spybot primarily (SOB). I've been using both for over three years, if not longer. They've been consistent performers over that time. I was impressed with MS's Antispyware, despite their supposed omission of Claria defs. The new Windows Defender doesn't seem as thorough though.

HijackThis. I was floored a couple of years back when I first used it. I thought: this is it, the ultimate AS app. But around the beginning of '05, I noticed it was missing stuff, about the time of the rise of the Windows rootkits. Recently I found it to be totally useless against rogues like Spyaxe and Spy Falcon. IMHO, it's slowly fading into obsolescence, but still a primary tool.

Increasingly I rely on manual removal of rogue apps in conjunction with the SOB stuff.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

If I have Spyware blaster; SB S&D; and Adaware on my computer at the same time, should I disable blaster before running the other two? Reason I'm asking is because from what I've read, blaster runs interactively and I want to avoid any type of conflict.

I haven't had any problems with Hijack, so far. I only use it if I'm stuck in a rut and absolutely need to.

I haven't ever worked with registry cleaners before.

Here's a quote from the tutorial. I would reply to it directly, but I know how people get about digging up old threads. I've been negged a few times for it.

<i>"Registry Cleaners:
    I use Registry Mechanic, and I’ve recently discovered Macecraft, and their RegSupreme. Both work well, but I find that RegSupreme to be the easiest of these to use."</i>

I didn't see RegSupreme listed. Is RegSupreme part of Registry Mechanic?

I usually do my spyware removal in Safe Mode. How many of you use this practice and for those that don't, is it needed? I usually only do the Safe Mode version once a week as well as run my AV software in it.

Spyware Blaster doesn't run interactively.
    It simply loads redirections into your host file and a couple other things. Once you exit, Spyware Blaster does not run.
    I have never seen Spyware Blaster ever cause any trouble and I've cleaned so many computers of junk I'll never remember them all.

I don't do Registry Mechanic. A long time ago it was a kludgy program and one time more recent it ATE my clients registry. Never again, although other people's mileage is better.
    It used to be marketed (still might be) on their website showing an aluminum diamond pattern toolbox with red top, which always reminded me of the toolbox of the appliance repair man who bends over to show his hairy butt crack. (shakes head vigorously).... whoa...not for me.

Running from Safe Mode is a good practice for unusually infected computers. Normally, you can get your cleaning all done in standard mode.

Here's three good (maybe really good) spyware programs, other than what you already have.

1) Spysweeper (I own this product)
    2) Spyware Doctor (have used this alot)
    3) Windows Defender (Free, and it works okay)

Watch out that you don't have a spyware program running with your antivirus spyware feature running too. Panda's anti-spyware feature seems to have problems with Windows Defender.

As for Registry cleaners, I've probably tried all the best, a couple years ago.
    I finally settled on Registry Healer.
    In simple mode it's great, but in expert mode you can eat a few "empty" entries if you go checking off everything it finds. It performs a restore point before making changes, for the faint of heart.

Windows rootkits are another issue. I'm still adding to my toolkit on this one. I've cleaned 4 different rootkits so far and one machine that had two rootkits stacked one upon the other.
    Every rootkit killer I tried could not wipe them out. I had to manually rip-em up then allow the rootkit removers to finish off the job.

That's my .05¢
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Thanks ZT. I'd give you some points, but I gotta wait and spread the wealth.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Registry Mechanic is one reg cleaner

Macecraft's Regsupreme is another brand
    I use regsupreme on other peoples boxes after a clean install to 'wash' the install
    then I set a restore point.

I use registry mechanic on my system, as it is a paid for tool
    regsupreme has a 30 day free trial, and I found it to be be quick to install and use.

[edit]
    Care to put links to those please ZT3000
    I like to try out new stuff [to me it's new ]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

CCleaner has a great registry cleaner. Easy to use, too.

ZT, I'd be curious as to your methodogy for handling rootkits. Thanks for the plug on Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor. I've used both too, but usually limit myself to the free stuff. They're both very good products.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers