Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 problems

Windows 2000 problems

Hey,

I'm using Windows 2000 on a pretty slow computer, but it's running like crap and I'm in need of advice. It's possibly because the file system is on FAT32 instead of the other one (I'm still not very good with pc's, despite hoping that I'd know quite a bit by now. ) but WindowsME was running way better than this....

Here's the logs from Hijack This, is there anything that I could get rid of from here to get it working better? (I've not ran AVG yet and will do soon, but I'm still hoping that I can get a few extra things taken off if they're not needed after scanning.)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 02:20:22, on 03/04/2006
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP3 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\update\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\mspmspsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Conexant\AccessRunner ADSL\CnxDslTb.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spooIsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\internat.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\kris\Desktop\HIJACK~1\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Karoo
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CnxDslTaskBar] C:\Program Files\Conexant\AccessRunner ADSL\CnxDslTb.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Spooler SubSystem App] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spooIsv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft (R) Windows Local Security Authority System Service] C:\WINDOWS\security\lsass.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft (R) Windows Update Service] C:\WINDOWS\update\wuauclt.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Gadwin PrintScreen 3.1] C:\Program Files\Gadwin Systems\PrintScreen\PrintScreen.exe /nosplash
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...?1143676378468
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...?1143676493303
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/ms...downloader.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{87FA89C9-A6A3-4D58-A55F-075EE90EC497}: NameServer = 212.50.160.100 213.249.130.100
    O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe
    O23 - Service: Windows Update Service (UpdateSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\update\wuauclt.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

I'm thinking that svchost is possibly something I want out of there, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Oh, and while I'm here, does anyone have a link to a site I can use to check what each of these programs does? I'd like to start learning about them this time, that's all.
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

Well can you tell us your computer specs? Proccessor speed, RAM, etc.
    Also if you want to auto-analyse your HJT logs, you can go to http://hjt.iamnotageek.com
    It looks clean according to that website.

EDIT: By the way, svchost is a system utility.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Thanks for the link and the info on svchost. As for specs, they're really not a pretty sight I don't think. I realize that it's always going to be slow anyway, but I'm just trying to work out why it's so much slower than windows me...

OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 3 Build 2195
    System Manufacturer Not Available
    System Model Not Available
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~333 Mhz
    BIOS Version DMI Ver-2.0, Aug 24, 1995
    Total Physical Memory 65,012 KB
    Available Physical Memory 5,692 KB
    Total Virtual Memory 215,744 KB
    Available Virtual Memory 26,504 KB
    Page File Space 150,732 KB

I know, I know....what a beast.

I guess the best thing I'll be able to do is delete the 2 trojans I just found :

spoolsv.exe Trojan horse IRC/BackDoor.SdBot.SRB
    ytbb.exe Trojanhorse IRC/BackDoor.SdBot.SRB

After posting up those specs I guess I can't do much else. Hell, I even had to go to windows Help just to find out how to find the specs, I'm that useless with pc's. Hopefully I'll keep this stuff in mind this time anyway, and get a faster pc asap. Wow, AVG just found a third. 2 spoolsv.exe's are Trojans.
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

Howdy.

There's a nice little program called cpu-z, what it does is gives you a detailed read out of your system, hardware processor etc etc.
    maybe download that and it will give you details of your system etc etc.
    it will save you time, and you won't have to run around trying to work out what your system is.
    cpu-z
    download it here: cpu-z Direct download

cheers
    front2back

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    C:\Documents and Settings\kris\Desktop\HIJACK~1\HijackThis.exe
    Hi Kris
    first, you 'should' run HJT from it's own folder
    C:\HJT

second : the specs for that beast are a touch low for W2K, it WILL 'run' on 64MB RAM, but to give yourself a fighting chance you need to double it at least [128MB]

also, what is your net connection ? Dial up / BroadBand
    do you spend a lot of time online ?
    do you have ANY sort of budget for upgrades ?

do you know which type of RAM is installed
    guess at 1 stick of 64MB SDR 100MHz ??
    would you mind revealing if you feel competant enough to add some RAM yourself ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Well...you might want to go to service pk 4....your specs sound as bad as mine before my upgrades...Model year 1999 6.04GB 64MB Ram at 500mhz...now: 80GB 384MB Ram at 500mhz...upgrade a few things...buy an old working computer out of a classified ad for $50-$100 and strip it for parts...

because yours is a Model year 1995 I'm assuming it was originally a W95...and someone just threw W2000 on it expecting everything would be OK ...I may be wrong but that seems to be a pretty big jump...Operating Systems are designed with minimum specs in mind...

Eg

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please update from SP3 to SP4?.....c'mon lads, you should have spotted that?

I would also think that your IE needs a bit of TLC?

You need more RAM...............looks like you have a minimalistic 64Mb, when you would be much better off with 256Mb?...............actually, I would look for 512Mb

This bitch runs Win 2000, but with a P4 2.26MHz and 1024 of PC 2700 DDR

If I understand your hardware, I would run Win98SE to get reasonable performance.

EDIT:Egaladeist is spot on IMO

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Eonfire
    Total Physical Memory 65,012 KB
    Available Physical Memory 5,692 KB
    Total Virtual Memory 215,744 KB
    Available Virtual Memory 26,504 KB
    Page File Space 150,732 KB
    This tells you it's running out of physical memory and using the "slow" virtual memory on disk. This is the reason the machine is running slow.. Add more physical memory...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by nihil This bitch runs Win 2000
    You or your computer?

Just Another Geek
    As for processor speeds.. I've got a P2-350MHz running XP.. Works really nice, just as fast (somethings are even faster) as the previously installed win98.. It does have 512MB of (PC100) RAM though.. It didn't run as fast at first but only because it had 128MB.. When XP boots it already uses about 100-120MB so it starts swapping pretty quick.. After sticking some more memory in it it ran like a dream..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.