Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kill an exe then rename it

kill an exe then rename it

I would like to rename one exe when it's running, so I guess I have to kill it first.

So can I kill it in batch file since I rename it in batch file.

Thanks. Ofcourse I am running stuppid windows ))

Looks to me like you answered your question, unless your question is how to make the batch file. Which version of Windows, and what executable do you want to kill? Some processes or executables cannot be dropped while the system is running normally.

Got details?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Yes... You will almost certainly have to kill it first....

Whether you can kill it would depend on what it is.

Once killed it can be renamed.

But then it will have to be started with the new name.

Yes, this could be done with a batch file, quite easily.

What executable file do you need to kill and rename and why...

Please think carefully before you respond... especially on the _why_...

'Cos I'm a suspicious old fart... farts smell... This request could smell worse than me...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thanks, actually the exe is what I created using foxpro, not the windows process ))

I have 2 versions of this exe, so I want to change back and forth. ABout Kill.exe, where should I get it?

I googeled :"KILL.EXE is a command-line utility you can use to end one or more tasks or processes. You can use TLIST to find the process names and process IDs of currently running processes. "

What's the running OS?
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

process.exe

windows 2K.

My friend found one process.exe from http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions...ocessutil.htm, use process -k

holy smoke, is this process.exe a trojan? Help.......wow

Broken Link...

You can use the sysinternals stuff found here for your initial issue, (look for pslist, pskill... and you can create a batch file from there...

As to your new problem... ooops...

opps,take the comma away, here it is again:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions...rocessutil.htm

Thanks for sysinternals stuff, i will take a look!

I don't know your process killer.... but sysinternals is trustable...

RedButton looks like your process utility is basically the same as systernals tools with one big differance, systernals tools will work remotely. "pskill ProcessName \\Remote_computer" will kill any process on a network where you have the rights.

and as TS pointed out they are trustable.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”