MS Virtual Server released for free!

Thread: MS Virtual Server released for free!

MS Virtual Server released for free!

So....those of you that read /. already know this, but Microsoft is releasing their virtualization software for free. This is in the wake of VMware doing the same a little over a month ago. And get this.....Microsoft will be offering technical support for Linux as long as its running on Virtual Server! Article Here.

I want to pose a question to AO, how do the pros out there feel about running VM's in production? I was urged against it by one of my colleagues, but Id like a few more opinions.

VMware Server Download

MS Virtual Server Download

Prior to running a VM in a production environment, you need to become well familiar with it's operation, how you are going to perform backups, how it integrates with the existing network, how LOB applications operate, ..etc..etc...

A way you can get answers you can trust is download and run a copy in a test environment.

As for using VM's in production. Does the word "YES!" mean anything? Super easy to make backups or differential disks of any session, among other great features. (not so hot for games, though)

IBM and HP are both selling Virtual server setups, since last year at least, if that means anything.

Virtualization will eventually become so commonplace that no longer will you run software like you do now, rather the standard OS will be virtualized by the hardware right off the bat on CPU's that run quadruple or more core processors. Eventually, the software will be virtualized in a holographic way, but that's quite a few years down the road.
    (You wanted your own virtual girlfriend, right?)

Today we have to start down that path so Intel and AMD are working on adding more virtualization code to their new chips while adding more core processors.

In my opinion, it's one of the best things to come down the pike, along with LCD monitors, static memory storage devices and optical mice.

Food for thought.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Originally posted here by ZT3000
    (You wanted your own virtual girlfriend, right?)
    yeah, look at "teh sm3xy pixles"....lol....ahhh, leet....gotta love it, or not...

I do like the idea of the virtualization though, it looks interesting. I'm also surprised that Microsoft will offer support for Linux. Should I be suspicious of this?
    there's always a way in...

Originally posted here by Spekter1080
    I'm also surprised that Microsoft will offer support for Linux. Should I be suspicious of this?
    I don't think there is anything to be suspicious of. In my opinion (whatever that's worth!), Microsoft is starting to see the writing on the wall. Linux is gaining popularity like a snowball rolling down the mountain! If they want to survive (or benefit from this), it is in their best interests to be able to provide support.

Makes "cents" to me!

-Deeboe
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Here is another article in BetaNews about the same thing...

http://www.betanews.com/article/MS_V...nux/1144084156
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Originally posted here by Deeboe
    I don't think there is anything to be suspicious of. In my opinion (whatever that's worth!), Microsoft is starting to see the writing on the wall. Linux is gaining popularity like a snowball rolling down the mountain! If they want to survive (or benefit from this), it is in their best interests to be able to provide support.

Makes "cents" to me!

-Deeboe
    makes "cents" to me as well, however it has taken Microsoft a bloody long time to see the "writing on the wall"....lol
    there's always a way in...

Hmmmm,

Apparently they were charging $99 and $199 for it.....................I really cannot see them making a fortune there?

Microsoft says that about 5,000 customers are currently using the Virtual Server product.
    I guess it is just a marketing/added value thing, particularly as VMWare is already free?