so I made a post a while back talking about "Islack" a Slackware based distro with security enhancements... I underestimated it though. I thought to myself "OK I'll make a post on AO and tell people about it and it will probably just be Slackware with a paint job and services shut off by default and nothing else"....

Wooooooooo boy was I WRONG.

I just installed it again after redoing my partition set up, and decided to give it a go. First off it IS Slackware during installation with maybe two extra screens added in. So I was right on that point.

What I also was right on was that it would have services shut off by default.

But I was very wrong on thinking that was all there was to it....

Picture if you will, Slackware Linux, now picture that Root can only log in from TTY1 (My quick tip on /etc/securetty and making that say root can only log in on the furst console and can't use X, is there by default)...

Not only this, but it comes with Wireless detection tools, wireless cracking tools... Hell even a Windows password cracker is there by default.

And it comes with Hping by default so you don't have to compile it from sources.

And, my new toy:

Hydra.

This is there by default, and not only that the syntax it uses is almost the same as Hping... I love it already.

If you haven't used Hydra before, picture Hping which lets you make your own packets by giving it vasrious command line switches, except instead of packets, you're sending attacks which are listed by service. It's AMAZING.

Next up on the scale is the fact that it comes with a **** load of encryption, decryption, cracking, hacking, and packet and network tools. All of these comes with it.

And you can run it as a server too.... It comes with all the servers Slackware comes with to use it as a server OS.

And for desktop users, you weren't left out either. It comes with all the desktop stuff Slackware comes with plus extra CD players, Media players and even QUAKE 2!!!!!....

I don't think I've seen a better thought out distro in some time. I'm thinking about putting it on my laptop right now... And you have your choice during install on the Kernel you want. I used 2.6 though 2.4 is there too.

you can even use a good selection of file systems. ReiserFS Ext2 Ext3... Even the IBM and IRIX file systems are there for you to choose...

To say the least I'm impressed. If you want to set up a box to use for a desktop, a server, or an intrusion testing box, give Islack a shot. I give this one my stamp of approval...

ISlack Linux - Gore's Stamp of Approval.

EDIT:

Here is a link of some of the things that have been changed in it. Also the name was changed. Not sure why, but Pat from Slackware asked him too so he did.

http://mirrors.unixsol.org/netsecl/d...tsecldocu.html