Job security
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Job security

Job security

"You mean, if we don't do what they want, they can fire us?" asked one young female protestors, appalled at the idea that she would actually have to perform and take orders in order to keep a job.
    http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20060...5856-6122r.htm

sigh
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ok. That's just scary. I don't think I've ever been at a job where I could refuse work and still get paid. Last time I checked that was the purpose of the job (unless you work for the Canadian gov't).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hmmm,

We have had this sort of thing in the UK for a long time...................various "opportunity schemes" for young people. Generally lasting up to a year or 18 months, and subsidised by the government.

You can be fired anytime during the first 3 months "probationary period" of regular employment................you can also leave with minimal notice and retain your benefit entitlements. A sort of "honeymoon period". These benefits consist of a "jobseeker's" allowance which lasts for six months, then you have to shovel $h1t if they tell you to.

After the three months you are entitled to one week's remuneration for the first year and one extra week for each year after that. This goes up to 1.5 weeks per year after so much service or reaching a certain age. You also have to be paid holidays outstanding and compensation in lieu of notice, if applicable.

Otherwise they can only get rid of you for disciplinary grounds or redundancy, but if they go for that then they cannot employ anybody in your job for the next three years.

The answer for the French is simple......................National Service...................Iraq or Afghanistan. You would be amazed how many would find gainful employment if that were the alternative

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    This is what I _love_....

The French pride themselves on their intellectual culture
    coupled with:-

As the French man in the street also has a habit of doing, he has taken to the streets en masse to protest because no one knows how to find a way out.
    It demonstrates the arrogance of the French... They like to think they are soooo smart but they can't solve a problem that other countries seem to have a much better handle on, yet, at the same time they have those "men on the street"... I guess they aren't part of that "intellectual culture"...

Yep, another example of why the French seem to spend half their life just trying to make Tiger Shark sick.... and succeeding with alarming regularity...

Stupid law, Stupid French... Oh well....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger~

Yep, another example of why the French seem to spend half their life just trying to make Tiger Shark sick.... and succeeding with alarming regularity...
    You don't have to eat them all you know.............there are other frogs in the sea

I still recommend military service to youngsters I feel have the aptitude. You see, our educational qualification standards have been allowed to lapse, so they don't mean as much these days. That makes it difficult to get a "first start"

These "schemes" are mostly half baked ideas, and are just as meaningless as qualifications. Come out of the services and employers know that you have been taught discipline, and a skillset/trade. It is a lot better than 3 years at university for many I know, and they will even send you university or other suitable higher education/training if required.

Johnno:

How sad is this though? The place where, supposedly, the idiots went, (the military), is becoming the place where employers are most likely to look for people who can do the job...

A very sad reflection on education as a whole....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yes Tiger~ it does sort of look like that, doesn't it?

I can remember being at secondary school (highschool?) and that would be the perception, but by the time I got to university it was starting to change.

I would imagine that whilst you were over here there were apprenticeships to be won.............very few and far between these days

Also, our militaries have become much smaller, more highly skilled and technologically equipped, so we need the people to go with that?

For example, I think that it costs about 1,500,000 to train an RAF fighter pilot these days?

Johhno:

They told me in 1983/4 that it was costing them $500,000 to train me as an Air Loadmaster... Ok, so they exaggerated... Probably $250,000 though, it took them about 15-18 months to get me to a squadron and another 6 months to get me "Combat Ready" and I sailed through all the courses - no redo's... (replace the $'s with pound signs).

Yes, there were lots of apprenticeships... Lot's of my friends got them... I still don't know what they think they gain by losing them...

Hey TS, hung around Herc's did ya, 250,000 to train you guys in how to put pallets/skids into a gaping cavernous hole like the Herc's had, with rails to guide the special containers, then secure them with webbing and straps? wow, must have been millions to train me in subs eh!....... jk (I used to pull them off, up in Alert, spent 18 hrs riding a Herc once, all the way from Ottawa to Thule then over to CFS Alert, what a ride)

They should seriously consider bringing back the apprenticeship programs, as we in Canada are crying for skilled tradesmen, in all provinces, far too much effort was placed in the service industry and the construction trades suffered.

Now it's to the point for the recruiters, that unless you have very high grades on graduation from High School, you will be placed on a waiting list, not even considered for ROTC anymore, as now you need at least a couple of years of University to apply.

I don't know if it's the standards or if it's really the technology, I do know that just before I retired in 96, you could tell a lot of the kids joining up, were clueless when it came to CDF (Common Dog *****) straight out of High School, without any street experience or work enviroment experience, so when it came time to listen to authority, it was like talking to a wall, or air.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Tiger~ the problem is that the World is being run by bean counters and spin doctors?

A short term improvement in cash flow can be used to buy popularity and votes.............by the time the repurcussions arrive they are well settled with a nice fat pension, so what do they care?

We won't have tradesmen and craftsmen in 20 years time at therate we are going?

I think that is why the EU is expanding into the old Iron Curtain countries...............at least they have time served tradesmen/craftsmen?