Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what does "refresh rate" do anyway

Banned

what does "refresh rate" do anyway

I don't see any difference what-so-ever when i change refresh rate on my monitor. Is there som way I can make my picture "better"? Is higher, better? DO LCD displays have "refresh rate"?

Yes, LCDs do have a refresh rate (although some sources say that they don't). The way it measured is vertical and horizontal megahertz. The vertical refresh rate is measured in Hz (as is the horizontal). Hertz is a wavelength, not a bandwidth (although in many situations, they are the same).
    Increasing your refresh rate can reduce strain on your eyes.
    Hertz is one way of saying 'x times a second'. So, 60 Hertz is kind of a way of saying 60 times a second.
    I would advice first checking your video card and monitor manuals.
    So vertical 60 Hz mean the screen is refreshed (or re-drawn) 60 times a second in all the vertical rows.
    (kinda drunk so me not explain good....)
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Hertz is a wavelength, not a bandwidth
    WTF????
    You have contadicted yourself..

Hertz is a unit of frequency.. bandwidth of a rf or audio signal is measured in Hertz

With a Monitor or television.. the refresh reate is the number of time the image on the screen is refreshed persecond (hence the dmorgans correct statement)

refreshrate is the number of time the image is redisplayed on the screen
    framerate while it is almost the same thing it is the number of time the images changes persecond.

The human eye is able to tolerate very low frame rates down to some 7 to 10 frames persecond. The eye/brain will at low framerates notice the flicker (flashing/strobing effect) but still percieve the motion in any displayed animation.
    The higher the frame rate the less perceptiable the flicker is to the brain..
    Basicly your frame rate can not exceed your refresh rate, it is best if refresh is higher than framerate for television, standared tv this was.. framerate = 30hz, and field or refresh rate=60hz... the larger displays and HD sets run refresh rates of 120hz (I think..in OZ it is 25/50 and 25/100Hz) ... you will note here that the refreshrate normally is a full multple of the frame rate.

SO.. for smooth display of motion images.. the higher framrate is best
    for low flicker from even a static image.. the higher the refresh rate the better

Oh.. just realisd.. why refresh?

In a crt.. the image is formed by a beam of electrons (per colour) scanning across the screen from left to right and top to bottom during the right to left transitions the beam is blanked as also during the bottom to top.. by the time the beam returns to its starting point the image at the top has faded (phospher does have a latency some are higher than others) so the image is ready to be redrawn..

With LCD's The image needs to be blanked between frames so that the fresh image (any changes from the previous) can be displayed without artifacts.. (LCD ghosts) I will admitt that i have run a stroboscopic test on some LCDs with a static image and did not notice a interferance pattern.. but ost I have seen will ..so yes they do have a refresh rate..
    With LCD's the latency was a stumpling block with gamers for a considerable time..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

OK here is my £0.02:

As already stated, the refresh rate determines how frequently/quickly the screen is "redrawn". Now, from a layman's viewpoint, that will determine how likely you are to notice this process, which you would probably describe as "flicker"

58/60Hz is about what you see in "safe mode" it does flicker rather

Once you get to 72Hz, you see a real improvement...............at 75Hz things are good.............beyond that you will not see much difference unless we have very big screens/fast graphics? Undies~ can explain this.

I am not sure what I can run this kit at, but I can tell you that between 75 and 90Hz, my eyesight is not good enough to detect a difference................I believe that is your experience, and the question?

My view is to run it at the lowest "optimal experience"

Now, and a bit off topic, you can find that the refresh rate alters the image size and may remove or provoke screen distortions.........please think about that when problem solving

I personally use 72~85, but I don't play any of these mega games.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_5.html

Its a tweak guide for ATI Catalyst drivers, but gives a proper definition of refresh rate for a monitor. Basically faster is better, both in quality and in terms of easier on the eyes Really, once you get above 60Hz you probably won't notice a difference, though I will add that for many FPS style games, a low refresh rate can CAP your Frames Per Second (FPS) since the Refresh Rate directly correlates to how fast/many times the screen will get redrawn per second....which can make a big difference in how fluid running through a virtual world feels, and hence your ability to react to it.

BTW, I highly recommend the above site, he has, IMHO, always written quality tweak guides for everything from Operating Systems, to Graphics Cards, to specific games (even going so far as to show you the difference in display settings).
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Son,

ATI drivers are crap...................It makes me insist that anyone who wants ATI kit has to accept a potential surcharge...............the cards are OK but NOT the firmware/drivers.

I would use GeForce over ATI/Radeon any day.............and I am going back at least 5 years

AOs Resident Troll
    I would use GeForce
    I am with Nihil here...to many problems with ATI cards and driver\app compatibility

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Banned
    is there a reason for what you are saying nihil... i was gonna buy ATI (time for a change)

i know you don't babel

AOs Resident Troll
    i know you don't babel
    I hope you are not insinuating that I babble.....

(well...maybe...I have been known too...specially when into the wine.. )

as stated...the drivers are unstable.....and I have had them out right fail and need to be replaced

Also I work with engineers that use 3d rendering, autocad design programs, and other graphic apps etc...ATIs were not listed on the recommended video card list...last hardware upgrade was 2 years ago...so things may have changed recently

From my experience...I do not trust them

MHO as always

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hey unhappy I hope that I find you well?

is there a reason for what you are saying nihil
    Well, it is just sorting problems afterwards...............I have used both ATI and nViDia, but I find the latter more stable.

If you build something and you have to spend 10 hours fixing it..............you don't get paid for those hours?