What backup do you use for Server 2003?

Thread: What backup do you use for Server 2003?

What backup do you use for Server 2003?

Lately I've been using Symantec Backup Exec version 10d. It has been working fine lately, but I haven't recovered anything dramatic lately. I do a daily backup and everything seems fine. The problem, man does this thing have a lot of documentation. I'm afraid if anything goes wrong, I'll be reading forever before I can solve the problem. I think it's over 1000 pages of material. Of course I could just go to the chapter that corresponds to my problem, but I'm one of them guys that likes to read it all if I can.

I've been thinking about going back to Server 2003's NTBackup. I have it loaded on my home server and have been getting confortable with it. I've been really thinking of using this backup. They both almost look the same, accept it seems Symantec's copy looks to have a lot more features.

What do you all use?

I have been using Backup Exec for a while now. It hasnt caused me any problems and it has some very nice features.

It will backup most files that are in use, I can create a tape set, I can remotely deploy an agent to a different server, and I also have it set up to notify me via e-mail if a problem occurs.

There is a lot of documentation but it is definetely to your advantage. Stick with backup exec.

AOs Resident Troll
    NTbackup......does the job, is exchange aware....and

Its free

Now I havent had the pleasure of restoring a 2003 server...yet

But I have restore several files\folders etc

I use the sql backup to log and then back up the logs

Lots of info @ms

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...UserAssistance

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I do know that there are limitations with Backup Exec. I remember getting an email, I set up that option too, then finding out that the Backup didn't finish because of those files. Usually backup exec would skip them, but not this time. Wasn't a big deal though.

Has any tried Veritas? Reason I'm asking, I've been looking around the net for jobs and some of them require that type of experience

AOs Resident Troll
    One thing I find with 3rd party tools...is an OS patch can really muck things up...

So if you use the 3rd party tools...you also have to make sure that it is continually updated as well

for me free is good...and works just fine

My .02 cdn

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer