Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Loginpassword shown

I'm not trying to start a fight here because you are correct... But... How many times, in how many threads, are you going to use _exactly_ the same sentence without expanding on it sufficiently to be of use? It's beginning to get tiring on these old eyes....
    Rather than explain myself in every single thread, I have decided to just be an ass.

I am writing a tutorial on XP security, it is just a bit late due to time constraints at the house.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ok... We know it's coming... Please quit repeating yourself...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi,

It has been hinted at but not clearly stated: where is your computer located and what is its physical security ?

Like do you share it, and do other people have unsupervised physical access?

Well, it's at home. I'm the only one living there. My girl friend comes for a visit often, but she doesn't have a key to my home and I'm around when she is. Also my father has a key for my flat but he's not too computer literate.

Physical security? A 60kg door :-)

Hi rck thanks for the response mate...................that rules out room mates, estranged partners or siblings messing with your machine.

You would be surprised how often that sort of thing does happen I generally take the old fashioned view that if you don't have access security you don't really have any security.

What we have done is eliminate some possibilities and narrowed down the field a bit

Anytime. But please guys, actually my question is: How do I get back the old login screen behaviour. Please advise...

Originally posted here by rck
    Anytime. But please guys, actually my question is: How do I get back the old login screen behaviour. Please advise...
    Howdy.

Well your Pc has obviously been pwned, so i would suggest that you back up all important data on to CDr's or DVD disc if possible, then format and re-install windows.
    Install ALL service packs, and updates for the operating system, and install a firewall and antivirus and keep them updated at all times.

And if you are downloading programs then always scan them with an antivirus, and also don't use the administrator account for every day use.
    Create a limited account, and use that.
    Only use the admin account to install programs etc. witch can usually be done by right clicking the icon, and selecting Run As select the admin account and you will be able to install/ run the program etc etc.

cheers
    f2B

Originally posted here by rck
    If that is all you REALLY care about!? Right click My Computer > Properties > System Restore Tab. Restore your system to a timepoint where the password didn't show.

If you live alone, no one else really uses the computer, why are you typing a password in the first place? If your computer gets stolen that little password means nothing. Waste of time.

Set it to autologin and pretend nothings wrong. Then post your IP here and we will login and fix it for you.

Oh and one more thing. Keeping your computer without any source of power can prevent this type of occurence, with or without patches.
    sudo

If your computer gets stolen that little password means nothing.
    Not quite true. A strong Windows password would take an inordinate amount of time to crack, so a thief will just reset it. That provides you with a good line of defence if the machine is used for something illegal. It would provide "reasonable doubt" and could generally be forensically proven.

Oh and one more thing. Keeping your computer without any source of power can prevent this type of occurence, with or without patches.
    Sort of .................................turning off the power is a good idea because you have lower electricity bills and you are reducing the potential fire risk .

From a security viewpoint disconnecting from the internet when not required makes your machine less attractive as a bot, because it is not reliably available

Hi Sandcraft, well, it's a couple of things I care about. The main thing for me is, how can I make this go away. I'm not sure whether the system restore will work for me but I'll give it a try.

The other things of course are

1) what IS this thing?
    2) how was it deployed on my server?
    3) how can I prevent it from appearing again.

It is important for me to get the "default" behavior back, because there are friends coming to my place and I don't want to tell them "turn around" all the time if they are near my computer and I have to enter my password.

What I did yet:

1) doublecheck the status of Windows update. It was set to automatic, only two updates where missing (Excel and PowerPoint apparently) -- I've installed them. MS Baseline is happy now.
    2) tried two different Anti-Virus programs (AntiVir and NOD32) -- both did not help
    3) tried a couple of Anti-Trojan programs (a², Windows Detector, Process Guard, ...)
    4) tried nmap on my Linux server, showing me the used ports of my Windows machine -- nothing special.
    5) tried Spy Bot Search and Destroy -- didn't find anything either.

I've also noted, that safe mode just hangs for me, it's not working.