Thread: Hydra

Hydra

After installing Islack I started toying with this application and I must say it's NICE. I'm pretty sure most of you already know about it and what it is and what it does, but for those who don't:

http://www.thc.org/thc-hydra/

It's awesome, and it comes with a GUI in case you don't like typing.

After getting Slackware on my laptop today and then putting top two network tools on it (Hping + IPSorcery) I went looking for Hydra, found it, compiled it, and installed it.

For scanners I stick with Nmap, for sniffing my main apps are IPTraf and Ethereal / Tethereal, and for making my own packets Hping and IPSorcery are what I use. And now a new tools is finally being added to elitist list of toys. I say elitist because it needs to impress the hell out of me to even be considered and be useful as **** to be added.

So go grab Hydra and play with it. the syntax is very similar to Hping and IPSorcery where you type the command, some switches and hit entrer to use it. VERY nice.

If you want to craft packets, i personally would go for a python-based program called Scapy. In terms of pure manipulation of network packets Scapy is quite decent and very good at its job.
    TheSyn

Gore... anyone who's seen the movie "swordfish" know that a 'hydra' is A MULTI-HEADED WORM!!!!1!!!!!!1!!1

Sorry.. saw the title of this thread on the front page and couldn't restrain myself.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

I own that movie. It's a good movie even though like most tech movies it's about as real as an honest politician.