Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Password Crack

Windows Password Crack

Not sure if this is the right heading, but here goes.

I have a customer who just purchased a used computer. The computer is running windows XP. The problem is he does not know any of the username/password's for the computer. Is there anyway to find out this info without having to be logged in. IE some sort of boot disk or something?

Thanks

Is there anyway to find out this info without having to be logged in
    he doesn't need to know the usernames and passwords used by the previous user of this laptop.

simple format the drive and reinstall the OS...like all good sales people _should_ do to second hand hdd's, to protect customer privacy and such.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

I know I could format and start from scratch, but the gentlemen who bought it does not have the install disks or any of the other software that came on the machine (which we are not even sure what is on there)

Can your customer contact the person from whom he bougt it and see if they have any of the install disks?
    =

IMO (V)/\>< is correct.

You SHOULD format and reinstall the OS just in case this person who sold it to them didn't erase any info that they don't want seen. He should contact the previous owner if he really needs the Username and pwds. They should have no problem supplying that info.

Although... technically speaking... it is possible to find out the user names several ways.
    The passwords will be a bit more difficult... but that is also possible.

1.) Get a Win2k install/recovery disk. Boot to it and enter the recovey console. Because it can't read the registry... you don't have to have an admin password to enter into the recovery console. The user accounts will be listed in the ususal places... c:\Documents and Settings\username\

2.) Use knoppix/ to boot and that will give you read only access to the hard drives partitions.

Using the above info... and a little creativity... you can find out the passwords...

If you use the search button in the top right corner of the AO main page... you will find many other threads just like this with similar but some different suggestions.

I didn't mention network solutions... cause you didn't mention a NIC card... and.. how would you know what the ip addy is? Local access is going to ge the way to go...

http://www.antionline.com/search.php...by=&sortorder=
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I know I could format and start from scratch, but the gentlemen who bought it does not have the install disks or any of the other software that came on the machine (which we are not even sure what is on there)
    After working on box after box without the OS CD I implimented a policy that states I cannot work on any PC's without proper software. I have seen it time and time again where people expect miracles when there is nothing to work with. Not only is this a pain in the ass, but it also puts your business in jeopardy.

Yeah, you could reformat with your own copy of WinXP, but I got tired of wasting my time. Maybe you should do the same, but then again, maybe it's just me.

Jack

i would guess that the person who originally purchased the machine got a package that included the OS and software. i believe that with such packages the OS is bound to that machine, from a licencing point of view. and that you are obliged to pass on the software when reselling the machine privately. even if i am wrong here, it would be a courtesy to pass on the software.

perhaps you should encourage the person in contact with you cheyenne to ask for the discs.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

I have told him to contact the seller, but I am not sure if he was able to or whether he can? If he can great, but if he cannot then I need to find another way.

I was thinking of that knoppix software, I just could not remember what the name of it was.

i doubt you have completly legitimate intentions in mind but truly i don't care so here goes...

i don't user XP but 2000 pro so in your case the accuall proccess might be different:

1. by default there are 2 local user accounts on windows system "Administrator" & "Guest"

2. dependin' on if they are disabled or not i'd recommend going for "Administrator" first

3. get this: NTFS Reader (boot floppy image extractor) & follow the directions to create bootable floppy

4. boot and read the FS then get the SAM file (i'm not gonna explain in detail what it is but the common locations are:
    - %systemroot%\system32\config
    - %systemroot%\repair
    - In the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM
    (you don't need to worry about the reg key 'cause you are not Admin yet)

5. load it in your favorite cracker (the active accounts should be readable at this point)
    first find a good dictionary file of common NT pwds like "NTAdmin" and such and use trial version of L0pth crack on it

5b then try and load the SAM into it SAMInside

after this you are on your own ..

The program is called ERD Commander, you can purchase it here, http://www.winternals.com/products/r...mander2002.asp .
    Key features:
    Boots dead systems directly from CD
    Easy, familiar Windows-like interface
    Includes the Locksmith utility to reset lost Administrator passwords
    Includes FileRestore so that you can quickly find and recover deleted files
    Provides access to XP Restore Points on unbootable Windows XP systems
    Compares key info on unbootable system with that of a working system for diagnosis and trouble-shooting
    Allows for formatting and partitioning of disks.
    Built-in network access to safely copy data to/from dead systems
    Repair and diagnostic tools located on Start menu
    Repair tools include Service and Driver Manager, Locksmith, FileRestore, Registry Editor, Explorer, Disk Management, and Command Prompt
    Diagnostic tools include the System Compare, Event Log Viewer, System Information, TCP/IP Configuration, and Logical volumes utilities
    Compatible with Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Server 2003