Problem compiling dsniff on Slackware 10.2

Thread: Problem compiling dsniff on Slackware 10.2

The Prancing Pirate

Problem compiling dsniff on Slackware 10.2

Hi,

I'm trying to install dsniff on a Slack 10.2 laptop, but I'm having a bit of a problem. The ./configure runs fine (I have attached the output, and I don't see anything wrong with it), but I get several errors during make:
    root@slackbox:/home/slack/dsniff-2.3# make
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./missing/dummy.c
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./missing/strlcpy.c
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./missing/strlcat.c
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./missing/md5.c
    ar -cr libmissing.a dummy.o strlcpy.o strlcat.o md5.o
    ranlib libmissing.a
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./arpspoof.c
    arpspoof.c:25: warning: `struct ether_addr' declared inside parameter list
    arpspoof.c:25: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
    arpspoof.c:26: warning: `struct ether_addr' declared inside parameter list
    arpspoof.c: In function `arp_send':
    arpspoof.c:49: warning: passing arg 1 of `libnet_get_hwaddr' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:49: error: too many arguments to function `libnet_get_hwaddr'
    arpspoof.c:60: warning: passing arg 6 of `libnet_build_ethernet' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:60: error: too few arguments to function `libnet_build_ethernet'
    arpspoof.c:64: error: `ETH_H' undeclared (first use in this function)
    arpspoof.c:64: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    arpspoof.c:64: error: for each function it appears in.)
    arpspoof.c:64: error: too few arguments to function `libnet_build_arp'
    arpspoof.c:67: warning: passing arg 1 of `ether_ntoa' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:71: warning: passing arg 1 of `ether_ntoa' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:77: warning: passing arg 1 of `ether_ntoa' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:80: warning: passing arg 1 of `ether_ntoa' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c: In function `arp_find':
    arpspoof.c:114: warning: passing arg 2 of `arp_cache_lookup' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c: In function `main':
    arpspoof.c:181: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
    arpspoof.c: At top level:
    arpspoof.c:29: error: storage size of `spoof_mac' isn't known
    arpspoof.c:29: error: storage size of `target_mac' isn't known
    make: *** [arpspoof.o] Error 1
    Any idea how I can fix this? I'm trying to compile dsniff 2.3 (stable), and Slack 10.2 has been fully updated using Swaret (set to 'current').

Thanks in advance,

-jk
    TAZForum <---- click

AO BOFH: Luser Abuser BModeratorFH gore's Avatar
    I don't use Dsniff, but one problem is that you're using Current which isn't stable. Not sure f that's really the problem here, but you may want to re-think that strategy a wee bit. I generally use IPTraf, which you should already have installed as it's on the CDs, and of course Ethereal / Tethereal.

I personally use those + Hping and IPSorcery and Hydra. All three compile fine on Slackware 10.2. I have them running on both my Slackware 10.2 Desktop and my Laptop. And I use Swaret on both.

Do you have another box you can test this on where you aren't using current?

I'll give Dsniff a shot and see if it does the same here.

OK, tested it. You're right it si **** out of the box. You'll need the lib it keeps asking about. I'll let you find that one, it should work after that though, but I'm sticking with the tools I listed,
    Kill the lights, let the candles burn behind the pumpkins’ mischievous grins, and let the skeletons dance. For one thing is certain, The Misfits have returned and once again everyday is Halloween.The Misfits FreeBSD
    Cannibal Holocaust
    SuSE Linux
    Slackware Linux

The Prancing Pirate
    So gore, would you recommend I set Swaret to 10.2 instead of current?

Going back to dsniff, I like it quite a lot - I know there are other options available, but I've become quite familiar with the dsniff toolset. I've already got the other apps you mentioned, and I use them as well, but dsniff is part of my kit.

I can't remember the lib it asked for, but I'm pretty sure I installed it. Was it libnids? Anyway, I installed it before I posted the above error, so that hasn't changed. Still wondering why it doesn't compile though

I've got Ethereal, but it wants the Gtk libs to run. I prefer Ethereal to tethereal, so what packages do I need in order to be able to run it?

I'll give dsniff another shot. If not, I'll have to set up a VM or dual-boot with another distro to be able to use it..

Cheers,

-jk
    TAZForum <---- click

Elite Hacker
    I was looking around google, and I think you might have a higher version of libnet installed than this uses. They don't have backwards compatibility. You could either install a previous version or edit the source :P. Good luck.

also, did you already try a slackpackage and just use installpkg on it? I know this one is for 10.0, but it might still work. http://linuxpackages.telecoms.bg/Sla...-i686-1qgg.tgz
    I know it's beta, but I'm sure it works fine :P

Use the original libdnet: http://www.packetfactory.net/libnet/...-1.0.2a.tar.gz and install it in a different dir then the libdnet allready installed on your computer. (it is needed for apps like firewalk).