Thread: Problem compiling dsniff on Slackware 10.2

Problem compiling dsniff on Slackware 10.2

Hi,

I'm trying to install dsniff on a Slack 10.2 laptop, but I'm having a bit of a problem. The ./configure runs fine (I have attached the output, and I don't see anything wrong with it), but I get several errors during make:
    root@slackbox:/home/slack/dsniff-2.3# make
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./missing/dummy.c
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./missing/strlcpy.c
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./missing/strlcat.c
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./missing/md5.c
    ar -cr libmissing.a dummy.o strlcpy.o strlcat.o md5.o
    ranlib libmissing.a
    gcc -g -O2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DDSNIFF_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/\" -I. -I/usr/local/include -I./missing -c ./arpspoof.c
    arpspoof.c:25: warning: `struct ether_addr' declared inside parameter list
    arpspoof.c:25: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
    arpspoof.c:26: warning: `struct ether_addr' declared inside parameter list
    arpspoof.c: In function `arp_send':
    arpspoof.c:49: warning: passing arg 1 of `libnet_get_hwaddr' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:49: error: too many arguments to function `libnet_get_hwaddr'
    arpspoof.c:60: warning: passing arg 6 of `libnet_build_ethernet' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:60: error: too few arguments to function `libnet_build_ethernet'
    arpspoof.c:64: error: `ETH_H' undeclared (first use in this function)
    arpspoof.c:64: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    arpspoof.c:64: error: for each function it appears in.)
    arpspoof.c:64: error: too few arguments to function `libnet_build_arp'
    arpspoof.c:67: warning: passing arg 1 of `ether_ntoa' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:71: warning: passing arg 1 of `ether_ntoa' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:77: warning: passing arg 1 of `ether_ntoa' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c:80: warning: passing arg 1 of `ether_ntoa' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c: In function `arp_find':
    arpspoof.c:114: warning: passing arg 2 of `arp_cache_lookup' from incompatible pointer type
    arpspoof.c: In function `main':
    arpspoof.c:181: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
    arpspoof.c: At top level:
    arpspoof.c:29: error: storage size of `spoof_mac' isn't known
    arpspoof.c:29: error: storage size of `target_mac' isn't known
    make: *** [arpspoof.o] Error 1
    Any idea how I can fix this? I'm trying to compile dsniff 2.3 (stable), and Slack 10.2 has been fully updated using Swaret (set to 'current').

Thanks in advance,

-jk

I don't use Dsniff, but one problem is that you're using Current which isn't stable. Not sure f that's really the problem here, but you may want to re-think that strategy a wee bit. I generally use IPTraf, which you should already have installed as it's on the CDs, and of course Ethereal / Tethereal.

I personally use those + Hping and IPSorcery and Hydra. All three compile fine on Slackware 10.2. I have them running on both my Slackware 10.2 Desktop and my Laptop. And I use Swaret on both.

Do you have another box you can test this on where you aren't using current?

I'll give Dsniff a shot and see if it does the same here.

OK, tested it. You're right it si **** out of the box. You'll need the lib it keeps asking about. I'll let you find that one, it should work after that though, but I'm sticking with the tools I listed,

So gore, would you recommend I set Swaret to 10.2 instead of current?

Going back to dsniff, I like it quite a lot - I know there are other options available, but I've become quite familiar with the dsniff toolset. I've already got the other apps you mentioned, and I use them as well, but dsniff is part of my kit.

I can't remember the lib it asked for, but I'm pretty sure I installed it. Was it libnids? Anyway, I installed it before I posted the above error, so that hasn't changed. Still wondering why it doesn't compile though

I've got Ethereal, but it wants the Gtk libs to run. I prefer Ethereal to tethereal, so what packages do I need in order to be able to run it?

I'll give dsniff another shot. If not, I'll have to set up a VM or dual-boot with another distro to be able to use it..

Cheers,

-jk

Elite Hacker
    I was looking around google, and I think you might have a higher version of libnet installed than this uses. They don't have backwards compatibility. You could either install a previous version or edit the source :P. Good luck.

also, did you already try a slackpackage and just use installpkg on it? I know this one is for 10.0, but it might still work. http://linuxpackages.telecoms.bg/Sla...-i686-1qgg.tgz
    I know it's beta, but I'm sure it works fine :P

Use the original libdnet: http://www.packetfactory.net/libnet/...-1.0.2a.tar.gz and install it in a different dir then the libdnet allready installed on your computer. (it is needed for apps like firewalk).