Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using I-Slack

Using I-Slack

so I made a post a while back talking about "Islack" a Slackware based distro with security enhancements... I underestimated it though. I thought to myself "OK I'll make a post on AO and tell people about it and it will probably just be Slackware with a paint job and services shut off by default and nothing else"....

Wooooooooo boy was I WRONG.

I just installed it again after redoing my partition set up, and decided to give it a go. First off it IS Slackware during installation with maybe two extra screens added in. So I was right on that point.

What I also was right on was that it would have services shut off by default.

But I was very wrong on thinking that was all there was to it....

Picture if you will, Slackware Linux, now picture that Root can only log in from TTY1 (My quick tip on /etc/securetty and making that say root can only log in on the furst console and can't use X, is there by default)...

Not only this, but it comes with Wireless detection tools, wireless cracking tools... Hell even a Windows password cracker is there by default.

And it comes with Hping by default so you don't have to compile it from sources.

And, my new toy:

Hydra.

This is there by default, and not only that the syntax it uses is almost the same as Hping... I love it already.

If you haven't used Hydra before, picture Hping which lets you make your own packets by giving it vasrious command line switches, except instead of packets, you're sending attacks which are listed by service. It's AMAZING.

Next up on the scale is the fact that it comes with a **** load of encryption, decryption, cracking, hacking, and packet and network tools. All of these comes with it.

And you can run it as a server too.... It comes with all the servers Slackware comes with to use it as a server OS.

And for desktop users, you weren't left out either. It comes with all the desktop stuff Slackware comes with plus extra CD players, Media players and even QUAKE 2!!!!!....

I don't think I've seen a better thought out distro in some time. I'm thinking about putting it on my laptop right now... And you have your choice during install on the Kernel you want. I used 2.6 though 2.4 is there too.

you can even use a good selection of file systems. ReiserFS Ext2 Ext3... Even the IBM and IRIX file systems are there for you to choose...

To say the least I'm impressed. If you want to set up a box to use for a desktop, a server, or an intrusion testing box, give Islack a shot. I give this one my stamp of approval...

ISlack Linux - Gore's Stamp of Approval.

EDIT:

Here is a link of some of the things that have been changed in it. Also the name was changed. Not sure why, but Pat from Slackware asked him too so he did.

http://mirrors.unixsol.org/netsecl/d...tsecldocu.html

Howdy.

I downloaded in last night and have played with it nearly all day on and off..
    Anyhow i'm still in shock on how well it has been put together, i mean i thought phlak was fun.
    But this certainly in my new favorite one next to Debian. Suse now is 3rd.
    I will be setting up another box and maybe test it's server capabilities out for a week or so.

Anyhow i'm back to eating my tea..

cheers
    f2B

You put PHLAK over SUSE????

Wow no wonder your toilets flush backwards..

I know i know, i need to be have my head checked, but phlak is really fun to play with..
    But Suse is my favourite perma distro used the most.
    I only use a windows box to play games on, and the rest of the time i'm using my suse box.
    phlak is just something i like to play around with..
    And there is the fetish for Debian that i've had for a long long time now..

cheers
    f2B

Thanks for the heads up, gore. Here's the official site:

http://marksman.beplaced.com/

Yar, wasn't easy to find. Had to scroll down to the bottom of the Google results.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

... Root can only log in from TTY1 ...
    I have been setting up boxes for years like this, but it depends on the use of the box.

I don't know how sane this is if using the box for testing, evaluation, etc. of a network or its components. ( I would guess that old school Unix people cringed and stopped reading when the saw that. )

It is often advantageous and prudent to open a second terminal before starting testing just in case, even when testing a new server setup or new application to be implemented.

and even QUAKE 2!!!!!....
    From ISlack - Revision or what should go away.
    2. Quake
    I have not installed this Distro, but from reading it seems much is installed by default, but just not turned on.

From the same page above, something I agree with strongly
    I would like to see the installation of MOST OF THE SERVERS made optional.
    Retaining servers that you never intend to use is a bad idea. This can save a hacker the trouble of installing a server on your system.
    If the Distro was intended with security in mind, it seems that they lack forethought ( or should that be insight to what security really is? )

When I install Red Hat or Fedora, it gives me options as to what type box it is going to be, and has software preselected accordingly ( which can be adjusted to suit my needs, ) or I can choose a custom install to customize everything.
    Even SuSE gives me something similar.
    Although I may have to go a little further to lock them down, they do not give me the false sense of security that this one appears to give.

Also the name was changed. Not sure why, but Pat from Slackware asked him too so he did.
    from IMPORTANT: CHANGE OF PROJECT NAME
    There has been a project name change due to a legal notice from the Slackware maintainer.
    Without actually installing it I won't know if I am correct, but at this point, I don't think that will be any time soon.

I was however intrigued by the discussion Alpha firewall
    I think I will have to go back to that and examine it a little more throughly.

Just my thoughts.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Originally posted here by IKnowNot
    [B]I have been setting up boxes for years like this, but it depends on the use of the box.

I don't know how sane this is if using the box for testing, evaluation, etc. of a network or its components. ( I would guess that old school Unix people cringed and stopped reading when the saw that. )
    Oldschool UNIX people should be used to that by now. Specially if they were they for V5

It is often advantageous and prudent to open a second terminal before starting testing just in case, even when testing a new server setup or new application to be implemented.
    something sudo or su usually is helpful with.

Link doesn't work.

I have not installed this Distro, but from reading it seems much is installed by default, but just not turned on.
    Depends, I've never done a default install of Slackware or this one. I've always done custom expert mode.

When I install Red Hat or Fedora, it gives me options as to what type box it is going to be, and has software preselected accordingly ( which can be adjusted to suit my needs, ) or I can choose a custom install to customize everything.
    Even SuSE gives me something similar.
    Although I may have to go a little further to lock them down, they do not give me the false sense of security that this one appears to give.
    How would you get a false sense of security? It's pointed out on the page and I linked to what was changed, This is sort of like saying PHLAK gives you a false sense of security isn't it..

Sorry about the link, it appears they took that thread down ( knew you were coming? )

This is sort of like saying PHLAK gives you a false sense of security isn't it.
    No.

PHLAK is not designed to be an installable distro. From About PHLAK
    PHLAK is designed as the security professional's tool kit.
    From what I have been able to read about NetSecL it is an installable distro, with strong emphasis on security and network testing. From NetSecL - Default branch @ FRESHMEAT
    NetSecL (previously known as ISlack) is a security-focused Linux distribution ... The configuration of NetSecL is hardened by default: ...
    Can you see the difference?

BTW, I really thought my comments would have stirred more discussion, especially from those who bash M$ for not being secure out of the box.
    Guess I shouldn't be so subtle next time?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

discussion? People are afraid fo that in this forum. someone might call them a basher.

Gore, check out these LiveCDs :
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05...e_cd_paradise/

I think you might like them. Lots of very, very nifty tools in there.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived