Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Internet Piracy!

I don't know but PIRACY sounds enticing to me.

Swashbuckling adventures on the high seas, colorful outfits, comraderie with rapscallions, the smell of burning cannon powder, pillaging and plundering vessels, raping lusty wenches, untold piles of golden glittering wealth, barrels of hearty grog, and knoodling with your favorite goat!

What's there not to like?

(okay....so this is a spurious post just to reach #275, so I can read those hidden posts where everyone is talking behind my back.)
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

OK ZT3000 is a total ******* a$$hole.................

That makes 3 or 4 of his posts irrelevant and means that we can talk about him in public now that I have outed him?

Congratulations mate!

I wouldn't like to think I'll end up being charged for downloading music but I'm really glad the whole P2P thing happened and it gave the consumer a chance to bite a rich industry on the arse.

CD's were an outright rip-off, costing up to £15 each for a new release. So many times you got stung purchasing an album off the back of one or two decent songs to get it home and discover those actually were the only decent songs the band made.

Currently you can get chart CD's for around £7-£8 in UK supermarkets to they have nearly halved in price and this is down to the advent of freely avaliable MP3 downloads....

I wish we could download petrol too....

I know how to do that.............so do several others on this site

I think they do that in Nigeria

http://www.spaceship-earth.org/Lette...line_blast.htm
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

If only it could be so "Black & White".......but there are too many "Grey Areas" involved, who's to say that a person who rips, their own collection of CD's.places them in the shared folder and allows other's to upload them, is breaking a law, is this theft,???
    Hey Dalek - I think this would be branded as the illegal distribution of stolen property. "shrug"

I agree with this about the parents being responsible, but unless you have raised children in today's society, where it is instant gratification, then good luck because it will be a full time job just to keep yourself from going insane.... And this is if both parents work, who has the time anymore, you'll find more and more kids are growing up nowadays as "Latchkey Kids" all on their own, the responsibility this put's on their shoulders is enormous, why can't they be kids anymore, now they are looking after younger brothers and sisters....and if the parents are lucky the kid will hopefully learn the golden rules, the opposite is the ones who never come home, or don't take on the responsibility, and this while they have access to a PC.
    I'm raising three children and I have to address these types of issues on a regular basis, and BTW you are right about the "going insane" bit. My 14 year old received a ripped CD from her uncle on her birthday. (My wife's side of the family. Now, that's not to say mine would not have... you've never met my brothers!!) Anyways my daughter was very mad at me when I would not let her keep the CD. So I explained this on a level of a more immediate concern to her. The make believe scenario, speaking to my daughter:

Let's say our family is going out of town. You are allowed to write your "in class" English essay early and you receive a 100. Now the teacher believes in sharing information so she posts your test on the bulletin board for the class to see and the teacher announces to the class that everyone with a "C" average and below can copy your essay and receive a 100 for their grade. This sounds good for the people that did not have to apply themselves to achieve their grade and you receive recognition from these classmates for helping them out. However, when you go back to school after your trip, the teacher has only given you a score of 65 in the official grade book. When you complain the teacher tells you that your essay had to be penalized in order to balance the grading curve. Now most of the students that copied your essay and received a 100 on the assignment are mad at you for complaining, and start saying that you have more than enough brains to go around and that you deserve only a 65. In fact they say that from now on you should not only do the homework for the other kids, you should also be responsible for making all of the handwritten copies that need to be turned in, and you should do all of this for free. Now, I know this is not fair, but that is how stealing music essentially affects the companies that are making the CDs.

She was still mad at me, but she said that she understood.

Unfortunatley kids grow up emulating their peers and parents, if they hang around other kids who are into downloading, then they will download, if they have parents who cut corners or cheat, the kids will pick up on this, now I am not going to go on and on about parents and their responsibilities in raising kids.Just wanted to point out that there are hundreds of factors out there as to why people fudge the laws...it's the old "it's only a white lie/fib", it's still a lie anyway you slice it, so yes theft is theft, but where is the line drawn, at what point do we educate the one's doing this to stop, in grade school, or after they are arrested???
    I agree. I justify speeding on the Interstate on a daily basis, of course that may be more of a survival tactic than an intentional breaking of the law. See, I even justified it here. Yikes! However if I get caught I am willing to pay the fine because I know that I was in the wrong.

Good. That's exactly what I want to see. The entertainment biz is mostly
    made up of phoney hypocrite wannabe leftists and marxists whose
    belief is that private property should be abolished for the rest of
    us while they live like kings. They are the main funding arm for the
    Democratic party and Pro-Islamist antisemitic fascist bullshit.

Only when their own bank accounts suffer do they whine about
    so-called intellectual property. If they had our nuclear secrets,
    they would publish it all claiming "freedom of press"

P2P'rs are exercising freedom of speech. Robbing the RIAA is
    an act of political speech, protected by the first amendment.
    Die Oprah Die!
    RC - Except for the last paragraph, I am personally in agreement from the stand point of a morbid sense of reaping what you sow. Anyways, you will have to produce some case law from the US where theft equates to free speech, protected under the first amendment, before I will even consider biting into that cow patty.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Originally posted here by OverdueSpy
    Lots of good stuff
    I've got four boys, 12, 8, 4, and 4 months. It is hell trying to be a parent now-adays. I see parents of students at my son's school come in when their child is in trouble and try to blame it on the system or the teacher causing the problems. Our kids are not latch-key anything, we have never left the 12 year old home alone or with any of his brothers - I worked to damned hard building this house

I agree that setting a good example is very important. I'm in the process of setting up a domain at my house so the kids can use a computer of their own. It will be behind a proxy and I will monitor what they do on that computer. No file sharing / BT / Hubs / Pr0n / seedy chat rooms / IM chats with strangers are going to happen in my house without my approval. I hope

Hey Dalek - I think this would be branded as the illegal distribution of stolen property. "shrug"
    Hmmmm, over here it would be considered unlawful distribution of copyrighted material. The actual material is not "stolen" as such. These uploaders are who the industry have been pursuing so far.

Similarly, the CD copy is a copyright offence until you try to sell them. It then becomes a criminal law offence, as that is classed as counterfeiting.

In the Netherlands we are allowed to copy music for backup purposus, and even allow a friend to make a copy of some album you own (fair use).
    You are not allowed to make that copy for him/her though..

You are not allowed to do the same with software or movies though.

It's a weird world with weird rules..

Time for a change ??

In my not so humble opinion the distributors need to change their business modell to one that is internet-proof.. perhaps even.. internet-friendly..
    It has happened before, with the invention of the phonograph, radio, television, tape, videotape etc.. So why not now with the internet.

But who gives a fecis about my sexual-intercourse opinion..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

It's a weird world with weird rules..

That is very true...............the internet is international but the laws regarding it are certainly not. AFAIK there isn't even consistency within the EU

And the manufacturers are not consistent either. Some say that you can make backup copies, others don't say anything other than don't make "illegal" copies???????????

In practice, no one will bother you for making a backup of either music or software, so long as you don't distribute it.