Thread: "Hacking" forum

"Hacking" forum

Hey Hey,

Confused by the title??? I thought you would be... that's why I chose it..

I recently posted LED Construction Sign Hacking.... I ended up putting it into Cosmo's because of another debate the comments had spurred... but had I only posted it for the information, I would have been torn on where to post it... So I'd like to see a new forum...

Essentially Hacking... or Hardware Hacking... I can't come up with a good name... or I haven't through of one anyways... Things that would go in this forum..

Construction Sign Hacking,
    Electronics Hacks (VCR that throws tapes)
    Chemical Hacks (The Mentos into Diet Coke thing)
    Vending Machine Hacking (Going through the menu of the vending machine and accessing it)

While I'm sure some of that information could be used maliciously the same could be said for a lot of things posted on AO... and being the geeks that we are... I'd have to say that we prolly all have an interest in these odd twisted things.. and that we should have a forum dedicated to them.

Peace,
    HT

Blah, although I think all that could easily be posted in other forums if the topic or need arose, I support this suggestion and second it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hi HT,

Well, I have to stick by what I've said all along....from an ethics standpoint, although that may not be considered pertinent nowadays, we do have a responsibility to other people by NOT providing criminals with weapons ( If you were a gun dealer and you knew if you sold this gun to this customer it would be used in the commission of a violent crime, ethically you shouldn't sell it, but most people would anyways and just excuse themselves from any responsibility )...

so...if we were to have a forum with ' sensitive data ' then it should be a ' closed forum ' invited members only.

I'm not opposed to the idea or to the sharing of this kind of information...but I am opposed to it being an ' open to all comers ' kind of deal where no responsible management is even contemplated.

Eg

Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    Hi HT,

Well, I have to stick by what I've said all along....from an ethics standpoint, although that may not be considered pertinent nowadays, we do have a responsibility to other people by NOT providing criminals with weapons ( If you were a gun dealer and you knew if you sold this gun to this customer it would be used in the commission of a violent crime, ethically you shouldn't sell it, but most people would anyways and just excuse themselves from any responsibility )...

so...if we were to have a forum with ' sensitive data ' then it should be a ' closed forum ' invited members only.

I'm not opposed to the idea or to the sharing of this kind of information...but I am opposed to it being an ' open to all comers ' kind of deal where no responsible management is even contemplated.

Eg
    Unfortunately that's backwards thinking... It's not a matter of arming the person who is going to commit the violent crime... it's arming the person who has to defend against it...

I think of sys admins, techs, etc as a fragile, vulnerable little woman walking down the street... hackers are the muggers and rapists standing in the shadows... The muggers and rapists already have the knowledge to carry out their crimes... and the knowledge if freely available many places if they want to find it... We're giving that woman the information.. information to allow her to defend herself... "hitting in the genitals will render them useless", "people hide in the shadows to not be detected"... Remember the old slogan "Hackers know the weaknesses in your systems... shouldn't you"... It's true about everything else..

Lockpicking, vending machines, electronics, alarms and other things... that's information that's valuable to everyone... not just the criminals... Why should those with a legit purpose be held back because we don't want to arm the criminal... That information is freely available to the criminal in many places.. we're just helping the legit people.

Also if you read the thread and not just the title... this isn't just malicious... It's not "computer hacking".... it's much beyond that..

Peace,
    HT

Hi HT,

No...it's not backwards thinking...I know the old slogan of JP...and I understand what you're saying...but...

if it's open to all comers and no one is taking responsibility for any kind of screening then you are going to have more of the criminal aspect than the ethical hacker participating.

Eg

And I know it's already available out there...but just because a kid can get access to this info does that mean we should provide it? No...

a kid can buy a gun...but I'm not going to sell him one because it's already available. I'm not going to go out and buy my daughters crack because they can get it anyways on the street.

That's what I was refering to...it's the oldest excuse in the books...' if i don't do it, someone else will anyways '...people constantly use that excuse to try to excuse their own lack of responsibility.
    eg. if I don't sell this gun to him someone else will anyways...is just an excuse, nothing more, and it's a very bad and useless excuse because it doesn't really alleviate one's responsibility, it just covers it up.

If this idea comes to light...and it is a good idea...it should be done ' responsibly '.

HtRegz says: Electronics Hacks (VCR that throws tapes).... Remember the old slogan "Hackers know the weaknesses in your systems... shouldn't you"...
    Yeah, that's what I need. To defend myself against my VCR deck.

HtRegz further suggests: Chemical Hacks (The Mentos into Diet Coke thing)
    The only chemical hack I've been doing is a late night hack thru a Doublecheese and Coke at Wendys.

HTRegz, you have alot of good ideas, but this ain't one of them.

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Eg, I guess we'll have to disagree on this one... I see where you're coming from.. I'm just of a different light... I think we should share information... not keep it secret... actuall there's an interesting blog on the subject (since I just finished reading it) @ http://blog.ncircle.com

Originally posted here by ZT3000
    Yeah, that's what I need. To defend myself against my VCR deck.

The only chemical hack I've been doing is a late night hack thru a Doublecheese and Coke at Wendys.

HTRegz, you have alot of good ideas, but this ain't one of them.

You have taken what I've said out of context... Those one's aren't dangerous to anyone, so they weren't the ones Eg was referencing, so they obviously weren't the ones I was talking about... Obviously not everything will be dangerous... that stuff is just cool to share..

As for the Mentos/Diet Coke one... there's a google video of it... You can get a geiser by dropping a few mentos into a bottle of diet coke, judging by the video I'd say it shoots up about 6 - 10 ft... If I can come across the link I'll post it... but it's a video by "Linux Fairy" (Not sure on the name)... although I may have alreayd posted it on here.. can't remember

Peace,
    HT