Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need to install windows XP but getting error

Greeting's

i want to change the OS from win 2K to win XP... win 2K is usable but the risk is still there
    Forgive me if I sound harsh, trust me I'm not trying to be harsh. But its a risk to run even linux, unix or for that matter any OS right out of the box. There are lot of misconseption about Windows and security. It doesn't matter if you have 2K or XP if you DON'T configure it properly it will be broken into.

You must understand any OS is vulnerable to attacks. To be frank even linux need to be updated just like windows. But people don't understand the risks very well. Putting a firewall and installing a anti-virus will never ever get you protected nor will just updating your system.

Anyway cutting long story short, if you install a new XP download autopatcher (www.autopatcher.com) and install the update's first before you go online. YOU DON'T WANT TO GET HIT WHEN YOU ARE MOST VULNERABLE. I'll ask the mod of this forum and get back with more information. (its about and old post of mine)
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

I still stick with my advice of RAM or a bad sector.. with the comments of parasites in the Win2k.. I will put my money on ram..
    If your putting XP in that lappy, I hope you have more than 128MB of ram.. preferably 256MB.. .. And as I said if the machine has more than one stick of RAM.. REMOVE ONE and try the install again.. trust me.. .. it only happens to me with xp.. it wont with most other os... memory compatability happens OLD or NEW..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi,

Well i've had another look round the net searching using your error message and i keep coming back to the two suggestions i gave eariler.

The first and easiest is just to download the 98 boot disk and load the setup from the cd that way. That you can probably try regardless of anything because it should take you no more than 10 min to do and you'll know immedeately if it works.

Secondly like Und3ertak3r the other suggestion i keep coming back to is bad RAM. Thats harder to check out and fix, but it just keeps coming back in the searches.

As for loading XP on, again Und3ertak3r is right, you had better have more than 128MB! It'll still run, but like a snail. What's the processor speed? On my older 900MHz machine it had 256MB of RAM and ran a bit slow, bumped upto 512MB and it runs lovely now, quite quick to load etc. If yours is a better processor then you could probably get away with 256MB
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

I completely formatted my laptop and installed win XP from another CD.

Now its working fine. Thanks.
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!