Thread: Normal system temps

Normal system temps

Hello all, been a while, technical difficulties

Anyway I need your advice, since I upgraded my PC I noticed my CPU temp is good but MB temp fluctuates, since ive never had a system that could measure temps before, im not aware of normal MB temps, please consider the following:

Celeron D 2.8GHz CPU
    512MB DDR 400 Ram
    Asus board

CPU, 34 Cel (right now)
    MB: 35 Cel (right now)

Ok so what I notice is, on a boot, my MB starts out like 36, and slowly increases to 41, then fluctuates. I installed a fan in the back as exhaust, and my PSU has two fans, its a thermaltake.

Is 35 - 41 normal for a motherboard, I was actualy reaching 45, getting alarms, untill I put in the extra fan, but now it does not hit 45, just idles around 41.

Whats normal? And is there a good refernce, I find resources on CPU temps but none on mother board temps.

Mirado~

There isn't an answer old chap

If you think about it, air cooling has to be a relative process?............so what is the ambient (room/air) temperature where the machine is? your cooling will work relative to this.

My Mobo is at 21C right now, the processor at about 17.4 (measured at the heatsink) HDD #1 is 30.4C and #2 is at 22C....................

I am using a laser guided spot thermometer by the way...............I do not trust the hardware/firmware stuff and the software stuff is not even worth installing IMO

Howdy.
    s 35 - 41 normal for a motherboard,
    35 is a nice temp, your computer can handle that temp all day long. But 41 is pushing it and if it idles at that temp then you are having some cooling problems.

if you want to monitor these temps while in windows then i would recommened you download install these programs.
    CPUZ
    CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system.
    MotherBoardMonitor
    What is MBM5?
    Motherboard Monitor is a tool that will display information from the sensor chip on your motherboard in your Windows system tray. MBM supports a wide range of Chipsets & Sensor Chip combinations. MBM is compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and .NET
    It can sense temps from Cpu, HDD, GFx and Mobo. It does also sense Fan speeds. If it senses that your hardware is overheated it can protect it by Shutting it down (user configured).
    SysTools
    SysTool is an allround tweak and overclocking utility for enthusiasts.
    SpeedFan <- Doesn't give exact readings of fan speeds, but it's close enough to give a rough idea on you speeds.
    If you need a tool that can change your computer's fan speeds, read the temperatures of your motherboard and your hard disk, read voltages and fan speeds and check the status of your hard disk using S.M.A.R.T. or SCSI attributes, then you came to the right place. SpeedFan is the software to go. It is fully configurable and you can create custom events to handle every situation in an automated way. SpeedFan works under Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003 and Windows XP. It works with Windows 64 bit too. And this all is absolutely for free!
    You really want your computer to idle at around 21, and on 100%cpu load you don't want the temps to get higher then 30 to 35.

cheers
    f2B

hi,
    as nihil sadi main factor is room temperature.
    Asus mobo have a utility called asus probe.:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3301.html
    Depend which asus mobo you have you can set tresholds there for mobo and cpu temperature to shut down.
    i am sure you check it but have a lok here:
    http://www.gen-x-pc.com/cputemps.htm
    good luck

Asus Probe is useful software.

As a general rule I tend to prefer the tools that are supplied by the motherboard manufacturer as they understand how the board is laid out and the sensors calibrated.

I have tried several "third party" software offerings and have found the results to be inconsistent. Sometimes they seem to work, sometimes they do not.

Another rough "guideline" is to try to keep the temperature below 50C above that and instability starts to creep in IMO.

Another "target" is that the MoBo shouldn't be much more than 15~20c above room temperature.

You might like to look at one of those flat "exhaust fans". They mount like a PCI card and will get the stale warm air out of the case.

Also, invest a few cents in some cable ties and tidy everything up so that you have a good airflow.

As for the CPU, I never buy those retail kits. I get an OEM processor and a much more competent heatsink/fan combination. Coolermaster are quite good, and I use Arctic Silver or similar silver based thermal compound. NOT the white "gunk" that tends to come with the heatsink.