Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why was my thread deleted ?

I have a solution....every time you have the urge to use the F word, replace it with "gosh", for the S word, use "gee", sort of like WTG (What the Gosh) or RTGM (Read the Gosh Manual), or even better...STGU (Shut the Gosh Up), as well when saying, your full of S, use gee instead..."your full of gee"...

There are a few other's that can be used to replace the offensive words: Gee Whillikers, Gosh Darn Almighty, Well Blow me over with a feather......

So Happy Gosh Darn Easter all you Gee heads.....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Blast From the Past

hoping someone already covered this

if you want to sware

hide your post... the option is there for a reason

most people will click on the post anyway, its not like you have to move earth to read it
    plus, you give potential guest readers a friendly warning, stating that this post may not be up to par with professional standards
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Neville Shute "On the Beach"????????????????

It sort of involves submarines?

But you really have to go for "Das Boot" do you not? saw it in Belgium, many years ago..........

Originally posted here by nihil
    Neville Shute "On the Beach"????????????????

It sort of involves submarines?

But you really have to go for "Das Boot" do you not? saw it in Belgium, many years ago..........

On the beach was sort of a love story more then anything else, the concept was great though, would make for a good remake today.....there is no comparison for Das Boot, it is simply the best sub movie ever, with subtitles, I prefer the editors cut, the opening party scenes bring tears to my eyes (sad).....regular visits to the head to speak to the man on the great white telephone was very common....lol...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

The sad thing about this is that a thread that basically amounts to complaining about the AUP gets 4 pages in less than a few hours, not to mention how many responses appeared in the other thread. While relevant security threads that do not revolve around arguing which OS is better(or more secure by default) never even get close to half a page...

never even get close to half a page...
    Would this be a criticism of my policy of banning members an deleting their posts?

never even get close to half a page...
    That's because there not in Hardware Now if they were, then they'd have heaps of pages.

f2B.!

Holy ****!

When the **** did **** start showing up as ****ing stars?!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You can use also "frak" or "frell" as a replace for F word. If you can say it on TV, you can say on AO
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Originally posted here by JPNYC
    Words may have no instrinsic meanings, other than what we humans attach to them, but without that step there is no language. For instance, if I say someone is malodorous, I have not used profanity, but I have insulted. Now malodorous has no intrinsic meaning. It's just a collection of sonic accidents. However many anglophones will know what is meant by it, and if so accused, will be insulted.

The "values" to which we respond are as current as the weather. You may deem them archaic, but this does not make them so. It takes much more than an individual to change convention.

This is a public message board, albeit privately owned. We don't respond to any restrictions that other public mediums, such as major newpapers, tv, and radio, do not also respond to. This IS a case of "when in Rome....."
    Hi JPNYC,

Actually, I was not making one point but several...I said...

words themselves have no moral value in and of themselves...it is the ' context ' in which they are used that determines their value...
    so...
    words can be offensive in the ' context ' that they are used. We have already established that. All you did was confirm what I had already said.

The value is archaic...every word, every definition, every use of the word has a starting point, a history, so I'm not the one who deems them so...history is. And history has shown that words can change in value and meaning at any moment in time.

Political correctness is a perfect and perverted example of how acceptable words can be suddenly deemed unacceptable...and it works both ways.

Going back to ' context ' for a moment...f@ck, I just stubbed my toe...is offensive only in a puritan sense, it has no personal objective other than to express one's displeasure with pain...it's not the same thing as calling someone a stupid f#ck...which has a clear offensive meaning.
    ' Context '...

As for JupMed catering to the public line that's understandable...you're not Rosa Parks or MLK...your objective is not to change or champion causes...it's to make money..so whether these concepts are archaic or puritan or not you see this from the perspective of your bottom line.

The last thing I was getting at was my personal opinion...I think it's ridiculous for a word, in and of itself to have any controversy...people should be able to say f#ck when and whenever they want to as long as it is not directed at another in a malicious manner.

And maliciousness is not the sole domain of swear words...virtually any expressive word can be used in a malicious manner...combined with the right tone and facial expression.

Eg