Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAID 0 Recovery?

RAID 0 Recovery?

Looking for a program or some know-how to recovery data from hardware RAID 0.
    The RAID had Windows 64bit installed on it.
    I was trying to install a second hardware RAID and after it was created the first one would no longer boot. I removed the second one I had just created with still no luck.
    My motherboard is a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe.
    Looking for any suggestion of any programs that might help or if I'm totally thnking this thing wrong and this will still work let me know.
    Thanks for everyones responses in advance.

UrrrrrrGGGGhhhhhhhhhh!

Aden old chap, that does not sound good..........sorry mate, there is not much around for 64 bit Windows at the moment.

Very difficult from where I am now (I am trying to get them to move from coal to oil burning computers )

RAID ZERO should be less legal than file swapping IMO..............you are totally exposed, and over more than one drive

Please give me the hardware details and I will ask around............sorry it is the best that I can offer just now it is about 05.15 here and my lazy friends are still in their Chinese Beds (WanKing Chariots?)

I generally use RAID 1 or sometimes RAID 5..............

Please give me a chance to check, but at this point it looks like a rebuild?

Well rebuild is still an option. However there is a bunch of pictures on there I'll have to rescan.
    but anyway....
    The two drives in question are 74gb Rapters the board is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4800+ 2.42 Ghz
    4 GB of Corsair TwinX RAM
    NVIDIA BFG GeForce 7800GTX

I'm booted onto a differnt harddrive now and Disk Management shows the drives like a RAID 0 but as unallocated space.
    Thanks again.

OK mate, right now I have 05.40Hrs, I will ask around and try to respond by 19.00Hrs my time

Cheers

no rush
    if i didn't have to spread mygreenies around you have all of them

Just Another Geek
    Just to clarify.. Did you use the hardware RAID functionality or the software RAID (called striping in XP)?

If you use the hardware RAID, any OS loaded would see the RAID0 array as 1 single disk..

To restore it you should go into the RAID hardware's BIOS and recheck those settings.. Also recheck the order of the physical disks.. Make sure they're still connected to the same interface and in the same physical order..

NB Rebuilding is not an option with RAID0... Only with RAID1 or 5..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice is on target,

for some reason I assumed a software RAID.........not sure where I got that from

is it?...............and it is called "striping" since NT 4.0 AFAIK

Other RAIDS have "mirroring" like this box has RAID1 and mirrors onto a couple of 80's...........the XP box to my left does RAID1 mirroring onto a pair of 120's

It is the way I like to build them for SOHO users.................."real business" (and don't you dare talk to my customers ) uses RAID5 as a rule?

Yes it is a hardware RAID using the utility built into my Asus motherboard.
    Currently I'm in class but will try switching them around to make sure i didn't mix them up.
    Almost sure i didn't.
    Had some advice here at school to boot up in recovery console and run chdsk and/or fixmbr.
    Shot in the dark but i'll be trying that as well tonight.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by nihil
    "real business" (and don't you dare talk to my customers ) uses RAID5 as a rule?
    At my previous job we used to put at least 5 SCSI disks in a machine with hardware RAID. Configured the first 2 disks as RAID1 to contain the OS and the programs needed. Data and logging went to the other 3 disks that were configured as a RAID5.. And just to make sure it also got backed up
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Go to Raid Reconstructor Software

They offer a RAID 5 and RAID 0 recovery software.
    The software works but is not too fast.
    (you might have to email the site to check on 64bit compatibility)

Although if you have tried booting the disks in a different manner you probably have altered the disks data structure and no longer will they be recognized as a unit. Any changes at all can permanetly break the array.

The rule is:
    When encountering a RAID level problem where the array is damaged, the best thing you can do is: As little as possible until you have the solution planned out.

It's similar to hard drive recovery. You usually get only one window of opportunity at which point you must be prepared to take it.

Hope this helps.

[Edit: Remembered this, that if you exactly mimic the order and cabling of your drives, that simply going back into the RAID CMOS and choosing the correct "boot" drive might get this show back on the road. It may have been the 2nd RAID setup taking the boot precedence and of course, the boot marker.
    Also you need to ensure the RAID firmware sees both drives as a valid single array.
    And, always, always label your RAID drives with size, array and relationship (as in 80GB Array#1 Master Drive, 80GB Array #2 Slave Drive, etc). I always do this to avoid confusion. ]
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"