Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL on Windows 98

DSL on Windows 98

Hi All!
    This is my first message on Network forum. Just installed Win 98 on my PC. I was using Win XP to connect to Web via DSL Modem before. Now, when I tries it out in WIn 98, I couldn't find any option to connect to Internet via PPPoE. Please tell me where find out this option in 98 as oly Dial up is there.
    Hari

SYSTEM CONF
    P3 700 MHz
    192 MB RAM
    ADSL2+ USB MODEM.
    Either you know the soln, or u don\'t

Hmmm,

I don't know your modem or your ISP, but I think that you will need to reinstall the modem and run the ISP's setup disk in a Win98 session. Both should have instructions.

I would check with your ISP that they support Win 98 as some over here do not.............the problem is that they want IE 6.0 for the installation, and Win98 only supports IE 5.5 or something like that. You might have to try another browser for example.

Have a look at your modem's minimum requirements as well to make sure that it supports Win 98

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    If you have windows 98 first edition it doesnt support USB so your ONLY option is to connect thru ethernet. now if you have 98SE then you CAN use usb. 98 does have a way to connect thru pppoe but it is long and complicated so what i would suggest is accessing your modem thru 192.168.1.1 and entering your username/password information inside your modem. make sure that the protocol type is set to be pppoe and NOT dhcp. what kind of modem do you have?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    gotta ask .........

WHY install W98 ?
    you already have XP

and it starts to get messy quickly
    get hold of W2K, it does support USB, and it will be cheap too

And DSL on W98
    goddamn modem'll be quicker than the PC
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Tex~

Windows 98 Standard and second edition both support USB. Windows NT 4.0 does not, and only the very last releases of Win 95 have "limited" USB support (ver 950b build 1212 etc.)

If anything I would expect problems with the modem itself not being supported and/or the ISP not liking it.

As I said, the first move is to check those things out and try to install the modem in accordance with the instructions on the CD/in the manual. Then follow the ISP's instructions.

Hey Foxy~

WHY install W98 ? you already have XP
    I think that this might be the reason:
    192 MB RAM

Originally posted here by The Texan
    If you have windows 98 first edition it doesnt support USB so your ONLY option is to connect thru ethernet. now if you have 98SE then you CAN use usb. 98 does have a way to connect thru pppoe but it is long and complicated so what i would suggest is accessing your modem thru 192.168.1.1 and entering your username/password information inside your modem. make sure that the protocol type is set to be pppoe and NOT dhcp. what kind of modem do you have?
    Sounds like someone is putting their Verizon training to work... Trust me what Verizon tells you isn't the truth... Verizon does things "their" way... to get you off the phone the fastest (I worked at their call centers doing tech support... so I'm not saying this as a customer).... Most of what they teach is in the training is BS... The USB Device that Verizon supplies DOESN'T support Windows 98 First Edition... As for 98 supporting PPPoE so you can establish your connection directly.... my 13 year old sister setup her DSL connection (this was three years ago and she was 10 at the time)... Windows 98 Directly into the DSL Modem... Most companies provide an installer that you run and it installs a dialer, just like the dial-up days.... Also.... Many modems don't support logging in (The Westel's are special in that their modem/router in one) and they aren't all 192.168.1.1... Also they "incorrectly" refer to it as DHCP... DHCP is a little higher up on the OSI Model than where they put it... They split EAST and WEST (with some crossover when I left) as being PPPoE or DHCP... but have you ever heard of a cable company providing "DHCP Network connections"... This was one of my biggest griefs with them when I was going through the training...

Anyways.... Other than Go-To-Assist, Verizon didn't do a lot properly... Remedy (while used in a lot of places) was rather crappy... and their "emulators" were ****... the guy writing them needs a kick in the ass..

Foxy: I know a lot of people that have gone back to 98 for gaming... even now... many of the older games just don't like XP... some of the older hardware (3D Glasses for example, which are awesome, never had XP Drivers released)...

Nihil: 192 is fine for XP... I ran it on 64.... Wouldn't recommend anything beyond using it.. but yeah.. it works...

Peace,
    HT

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    HT you know where i work lol u guessed it and almost everything you said was spot on lol i do deal with alot of BS. I just told him what they told me in training.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

HT~

192Mb is not "fine" for Win XP. Sure it will work, but very poorly, which sort of makes having a high speed internet connection a bit pointless. The situation is made worse if he has onboard graphics.

It is a PIII/700, so it will have PC133 SDRAM at best. Once again that is not very fast. You can improve the situation by closing applications not in use and only opening the bare minimum, but that is a bit of a pain in this day and age.

I personally do not recommend using XP with less than 256Mb of RAM and would not consider building an XP box with less than 512Mb

Actually, you would be amazed at what you can actually get XP to run on..................it is a bit like Win ME, you have to "cheat" to get it to install, but then you are in business

Please check out this link......................it is rather amusing albeit a little sad

http://www.winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm

enjoy........................................................

I reckon it would be pretty pointless running XP on 192MB of RAM cause the Opertating Susyem is about all you could run! Might get away with opening the calculator I suppose!