Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: finding packets

Please realise that you need to check ALL computers that connect to that hub.

You also have to have a "common" security policy, as if one of you is exposed, that exposes you all.

Spybot Search & Destroy
    AdAware SE
    EWIDO
    A-Squared

A firewall
    An Antivirus

Those will do for a start

You also have to have a "common" security policy, as if one of you is exposed, that exposes you all.
    I don't know if I'd bother. Other users running off the hub might balk, then play the blame game if something goes south in any clean-up. Just make sure your box is buttoned up tight (firewall), clean (AV/antispyware) and updated (important!). Your risk profile should be treated the same as if you were directly connected to the internet (high!).

Again, let me add: NO FILE SHARING WITH ANYONE ON THIS HUB. NONE! Disable filesharing on your box.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

It has been a long day. A Long week, in fact. Okay, so according to my friend who "found" the trojan, he took care of it, but whatever, I'm gonna scan my friends computer again. In any case, my other friend probably won't want to reinstall the OS, but whatever, my machine is pretty much "boxed up tight" as you guys put it. I guess my other friend doesn't really care about his machine. The only reason I'm asking about the packet sniffer and the packets is because I'm more worried about my and everyone else's privacy whose packets were sniffed and stored, not the guy with the computer, since he doesn't seem to care.

At this point, I just want to make sure he doesn't have any of my data on his pc.

Anyways, thanks so much for you guys and your help.

Edit: Of course, the guy with the computer decided to go home this weekend, and as his comp is a laptop, took it with him. So I can't do anything yet. But if I need anymore help, I may need to ask you very knowledgable guys some questions later.