Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: number of members (total, active and inactive)

Hi foxyloxley,

but it is still 780 regular posters
    Well...actually, it's a lot less than that...once you eliminate from that banned members, non-newbie members that have moved on, or stopped posting, or died, members that post but post infrequently, etc...

in my opinion, as a general rule a ' regular contributing member ' standard would be at least one post a week, maybe at the very outside even one post every two weeks, or a minimum of 26 posts a year...
    if we set 26 posts a year as a standard that 780 is more likely around 280-380...and I personally think 26 posts a year is not enough to be considered ' regular '...I would think a minimum of 52 posts a year would be a better figure, and even at that I'm being generous, it's the people who post almost every day that really keep this site alive.

Eg

Hello ALL!

Perhaps the number of posts would depend largely on whether the post being made is productive or constructive. I've seen instances where senior members of AO have criticized those that post just for the sake of posting (maybe just get promoted from the Newbie status). But this will not necessarily provide insight into "how active is indeed active".

In my case, I log in almost daily just to look at the topics that are of immediate interest (i.e., the posts could provide me additional handles on how to deal with a problem that I may have tried Googling but couldn't find a credible answer to) or where I think I know enough to add my 2 cents worth. Otherwise, I wouldn't post any reply at all where I believe the member-experts could provide better suggestions.

Now, would that mean that even when I take a look at the forum topics now and then but fail to post any for, say, a period of six (6) months, I'd be classified as falling below the "active" category?

Just asking (and this post of mine, I'd say, is one of those that can be called productive or constructive ).
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Hi Goitz,

I understand what you're saying...but...the fact is if you don't post you are not contributing to the site, you are just helping yourself...

a forum depends upon posts...activity...forums without activity die...they don't exist if people don't post...they don't get new members if there is no activity...if everyone here lurked and no one posted this site would not live very long.

Eg

Eg,

Ouch! Aye, I agree with you. As the saying goes: A road without traffic is just a pavement.

Maybe that was rather selfish of me.

Ok. I'd do my best to be a more constructive poster henceforth.

Cheers!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I contribute through offensive comments and blatant post whoring.

Doppy shaddup! and have a Happy Easter along with the rest of the "staff"................that is a direct order from your "Madame"..............(pimp?)

Goitz if you want to borrow a few thousand posts, please have some of mine.

I must admit that I do treat this forum as a chat room. Out in the sticks here it is difficult to find IT people to talk with in the pub or at work even, when you are moving around

I worked 32 years in our Capital, and it was no problem there. A bit of a culture shock I am afraid

Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    Hi foxyloxley,

Well...actually, it's a lot less than that...once you eliminate from that banned members, non-newbie members that have moved on, or stopped posting, or died, members that post but post infrequently, etc...

in my opinion, as a general rule a ' regular contributing member ' standard would be at least one post a week, maybe at the very outside even one post every two weeks, or a minimum of 26 posts a year...
    if we set 26 posts a year as a standard that 780 is more likely around 280-380...and I personally think 26 posts a year is not enough to be considered ' regular '...I would think a minimum of 52 posts a year would be a better figure, and even at that I'm being generous, it's the people who post almost every day that really keep this site alive.

Eg
    I guess I certainly don't fall into the category of a regular member.. it would take me two or three years to get that many posts...

wow! thanks for all of the great responses! i have been able just now to sign in, busy day and night so far. i appreciate all of the insight here! i can already tell there is quite a diverse group of knowledge, backgrounds and opinions that will make this journey the richer!

thanks again! and yes, all of the posts have been a great help!
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

--Chinese proverb

hi mohaughn,

I guess I certainly don't fall into the category of a regular member.. it would take me two or three years to get that many posts...
    You've got 564 posts...you've been here since Oct 2001...that's well over 52 posts a year...but because you can't do math I'd say you just barely qualify as ' regular '

Eg

I have over 2000 posts here, and at at least 4-5000 AP's from my tenure here.

Now... I demand my custom title back.