Need a program

Thread: Need a program

Need a program

I'm looking for a software program/suite that will allow me to weed out any files coming across my network that might contain a list of restricted words. It will probably need to search the documents at the ascii code level. Anybody know of any software that can do this?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks for the effort thehorse13, but I'm not looking for a content filter, I'm looking for a "word" filter for lack of a better term. I need a device that will scan any data file type for a list of restricted words. The catch is that the file type (i.e. .doc, .pdf, .txt) can not be opened. So I can't open up a word document, scan for the words I want to flag, close it, and then let it pass. It has to be able to scan it at the code level so that I can find the words I'm looking for in the document without having to open it. There may not be a commercial product that can do this, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone knows of one that can.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Well... For a start you aren't going to have a lot of luck with pdf's - it's a printer definition file so unless you open it and render it you won't be able to see the text.

Do you want to block documents with "forbidden" words or just know they exist?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

documents with restricted words will be sent to a quarantine area. I don't want anything to be blocked, they will either pass through or be sent to quarantine.

PDF was just an example of a document type, it wasn't meant to be literal.

Ok as far as my understanding goes, when data travels through network it is in form of packets, right,
    Now these packets are of a file which is for software present on receiving end of network which combines them and then open file only then contents are comprehensible.
    So files are dependent on software also, not on network, so until software(which can understand that packet) is there, that content is just a file with no meaning like pdf file is nothing if u dont have adob reader or something else is installed.
    Now if you think You can just install a single(even commercial) software that can scan 'ALL' files flowing through your network and render them and then scans them and then categorise them. Then that will be asking for too much.

but what you can do is(if it is you who administer software) then install standard softwares on client pc, so that they can only interact in files created in those software, then atleast you know the data type travelling, then install software on your scanner machine and open files(or if any other way possible) and scan or categorize. I think that can be done.
    It\'s all about sense of power.