Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FireFox Question

Originally posted here by The Texan
    Outlook isnt in my programs list but, I dont think its uninstalled totally because you know sometimes if you go a website and it has the email for the person posted on the site eg: mailto tyler@nothing.com if i click the link there it brings up the person's email address in outlook express even though i dont use outlook

HT: When I lock my pc all it says is " 2 programs running" nothing about messages but I do know what your talking about because I have seen that message before. and btw im not quite sure what windows has as my default mail client.
    You're default mail client will be whatever opens when you click on a mailto: link... That's why you see it open when You click on an address even though you never user it...

As for not seeing it right now... that's quite possibly because you've read the mail in hotmail... Unfortunately it's buggy and not always perfect... They'll be plenty of time that I'll read my email at work and lock my computer and it'll still say I have two unread messages.... but yeah no need to freak out... it's just a poor implementation of a poorly written feature ... Microsoft made something that wasn't the greatest and Firefox implemented it and made it slightly worse heh...

Peace,
    HT

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    ok thanx for answering my question but let me ask you one more how to I go about reading these "13 unread messages"?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Tex...... if you want to get around it and still use FF, go ahead and get Thunderbird, works well with FireFox, even with all of it's inferiorities.......

Thunderbird

I think to get rid of this you will need to open your Outlook Express or use one of these registry tweaks by Kellys Corner , there is a solution....

Luck
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    ok thanx for the suggestions
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by The Texan
    ok thanx for answering my question but let me ask you one more how to I go about reading these "13 unread messages"?
    You'd have to find all the software that is reporting there... and read the email contained in that software (or on those web accounts)... so Outlook, Outlook Express, Hotmail, and possibly others (I've never seen, nor had the need to find, a comprehensive list)...

If everything is read in all those places... it's a matter of updating firefox... You could check the registry key that dalek posted... and ensure that it's also back to 0.. if it's stuck at 13 (maybe a bug or glitch caused it to not reset) then you could manually change it to 0... or you could try a reboot... or just closing out all the open browsers you have and restarting one after their closed... I'm not sure of the criteria that firefox uses for checking the key to refresh... or the frequency at which it checks..

dalek: How will switching to Thunderbird fix the problem??? It's a read mail problem... and if Tex is using hotmail Thunderbird isn't going to assist him at all.. he'd be better of removing the associate my passport account with Windows checkbox...

Peace
    HT